Why New York?
Get an internship in NYC! This amazing metropolis is a center for global banking & business, and for arts and culture. Take the New York City Subway to work (the world's oldest, largest, and most-used public transit system) in this incredibly diverse and exciting city, where everything is at your fingertips. Lunch might be a pastrami sandwich or a knish from a traditional Jewish deli, a slice of classic New York-style pizza, or a fresh smoothie from a local juice bar. An IES internship in New York City develops your professional skills, your ability to communicate across cultures, and provides substantive work experience to jump-start your career in today's competitive job market.
An IES internship in New York City develops your professional skills, your ability to communicate across cultures, and provides substantive work experience to jump-start your career in today's competitive job market.
Whether you enroll in this program, you'll be guaranteed an unpaid internship placement at a local business or organization, where you'll work for at least 32 hours a week. We will work with you to help find the closest match between your expressed preferences and professional goals with what's available via IES Internships in New York. Before you go, your internship coordinator will work with you to fine-tune your resume, perfect your cover letter, and hone your communication and interview skills as we prepare you for working in a new cultural environment.
Past students have interned in placements like the examples listed below. Keep in mind that this list is by no means exhaustive. We encourage students of all majors to apply.
- Global nonprofit providing digital marketing services to member companies in New York and other global business hubs
- Financial services provider for high-growth companies providing tailored finance solutions for venture Capital-backed and private equity-owned companies
- Analytics company specializing in predictive trends
- Soho-based design studio creating engaging and fresh designs
- Global fashion retailer and merchandiser
- Established American publishing house focused on books for children and young adults
- An award-winning boutique immigration law firm
- Educational Technology company focused on user experience, community engagement, and app development
- Premiere podcast network covering the business of various lifestyle industries
- A creative agency that uses music-making to connect people across cultural divides
Don’t see what you're looking for? Just talk to your IES Internships representative—new internships are always being added.
While working in New York you’ll also enroll in a required 3-credit academic internship seminar with other IES interns, where you'll gain context for your internship placement by examining cultural issues in the workplace. Topics covered include:
- Understanding workplace culture
- Improving communication
- Strengthening work attitude and aptitude
- Resolving conflicts
- Navigating issues, challenges, and opportunities so you can succeed on the job in New York and when you return home
- IN/OB 395 - Internship Seminar: Organizational Behavior (3 credits)
Part of making you feel at home in New York is doing our best to help you feel safe and cared for. Whether it is an orientation program that makes you feel prepared, housing that is well-located and comfortable, or networking and social events with New York professionals—we’re all about our student services.
The staff in New York will welcome you for orientation. This includes an introduction to the city including housing, commuting, and professional and cultural expectations.
You will live in a dorm-style, single room in the historic International House, (I-House), in Morningside Heights, one of Manhattan's safest and most student-friendly neighborhoods. No meals are provided, but each student will receive a meal credit of $5.75 per day, every day, for use in the in-house dining hall. You are able to add more money to your meal card as well. Additionally, the I-House offers the various community and cultural activities to engage residents throughout the summer.
- Rooms come with a bed desk, chair, dresser and closet which locks (no personal sink)
- Building-wide, main A/C only
- Window A/C units are available for rent (students are responsible for requesting one with the I-House and the cost)
- Wireless internet
- Resident kitchen
- Laundry rooms with a washer & dryer
- Gymnasium and Fitness Center
- Computer Lab
- Study Center
- Bicycle Storage Room
- Music Practice Rooms
- Patio with stunning views of NYC
Extracurricular Activities & Cultural Events
For cultural events, you will be networking and attending social events with New York professionals.
Consider these prices as a starting point. We encourage you to contact your study abroad office to determine the actual cost to you when factoring in financial aid, scholarships, your home school policies, and other factors.
Term: Summer 2020
Scholarships & Aid
Summer Need-Based Financial Aid
Up to $1,000.
Open to students who apply to and attend an IES Abroad or IES Internships summer program.
Criteria reviewed to determine award:
- Level of financial need as determined from the information provided on the application. Priority is given to Pell Grant recipients.
- IES Abroad program location.
- IES Abroad membership status of the home campus
Summer Social Impact Internship Scholarship
Up to 100% of room and board costs based on financial need + $1000 travel grant.
The Summer Social Impact Internship Scholarship was initiated by the Hemera Foundation, whose mission is to foster basic human goodness in individuals and society. This Scholarship, which will be sustained through a foundation collaborative, aims to inspire students to make a social impact through summer internships within philanthropic or direct service/social service organizations.
The IES Internships New York Center is housed within the 92Y Residence, situated on the Upper East Side just a short walk to Central Park and world-class museums.
- Wireless Internet in common areas
- A computer center with computers and printing capabilities
About the School
Everything we do is about the IES Abroad student. Our profoundly passionate team of study abroad professionals believes in creating once-in-a-lifetime educational adventures that transcend expectation ... Read More