This qualification is intended for planning technicians working in government and non-governmental sectors. Students would, in a team, be able to perform in both spatial and non-spatial planning fields, using appropriate technology, in order to critically respond to the challenges in the built environment. Learners may apply for registration as a Technical Planner with SACPLAN, after having met specific SACPLAN requirements.
Exit level outcomes:
The qualifying student should be able to:
- Research and plan, within the built and natural environment, to assist in facilitating land use planning, control and development.
- Apply appropriate technology in the process of planning land use and development.
- Apply communication skills in retrieving and disseminating information.
- Apply interpretive skills in town planning-related matters.
Admission Requirements and Selection Criteria
- A National Senior Certificate or an equivalent qualification of an equivalent standard.
- Refer to Faculty Regulation EB3 for the minimum admission requirements for the Senior Certificate (until 2008) and the National Senior Certificate (from 2009).
- Recommended subjects: Geography or Drawing.
- N3 Certificate, with a minimum pass of 60% in Mathematics and English.
- Students who have passed suitable access programmes may be exempted from the minimum requirements.
Refer to Regulation E.4. of the Faculty book.
Project Work (P1) and Planning Practice (P2) must be completed in an environment related to Town and Regional Planning.
Award of diploma
A National Diploma in the relevant field of study will be awarded to candidates after successful completion of all theoretical and experiential learning requirements.
Registration and Start Dates
Registration starts in January and lectures in February for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate course work programmes.
All research programmes for Masters and PhD can register throughout the year.
End Date: Academic starts in January and ends in December. Programme deadline is determined by the duration of the programme.