A student who has completed this qualification will be competent in providing professional, technical and developmental support in the computer industry.
Exit level outcomes:
The qualifying student will have the ability to:
- Communicate, develop, maintain and implement software systems.
- Develop, implement and maintain hardware systems in the computing environment.
- Implement and maintain network hardware and operating systems.
- Describe and implement the theoretical principles supporting the computing environment
Admission Requirements and Selection Criteria
- A National Senior Certificate or an equivalent qualification of an equivalent standard.
- Refer to Faculty Regulation EB3 for the minimum admission requirements for the Senior Certificate (until 2008) and the National Senior Certificate (from 2009).
- N3 Certificate, with a minimum pass of 60% in Mathematics, Physical Science, Industrial Electronics and Electrotechnology, and a pass in two languages.
- Students who have passed suitable access programmes may be exempted from the minimum requirements.
As broad a field as possible must be incorporated.
All students will be required to complete a basic 6-month course, Experiential Learning I, which will include the following tasks:
- Safety and First Aid
- Basic Hand Skills
- Measuring Instruments
- Computer Components
- Circuit Diagrams
- Network Administration
- Application Programming
- General Administration
- Report Writing
The remaining six months should be spent on more advanced tasks orientated towards a particular sub-discipline.
Award of diploma
A National Diploma in the relevant field of study will be awarded to candidates after successful completion of all theoretical and experiential learning requirements.
Registration and Start Dates
Registration starts in January and lectures in February for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate course work programmes.
All research programmes for Masters and PhD can register throughout the year.
End Date: Academic starts in January and ends in December. Programme deadline is determined by the duration of the programme.
About the School
Vibrant, multicultural and dynamic, the University of Johannesburg (UJ) shares the pace and energy of cosmopolitan Johannesburg, the city whose name it carries. Proudly South African, the university i ... Read More