At this level, a qualifying student will be competent in basic metallurgical process operation, product development and problem-solving, thus contributing to the needs of the metallurgical industry and mining community. The qualified student will be able to register with ECSA as a Technician.
Exit level outcomes:
The qualifying student will be competent to:
- Operate specific metallurgical equipment, and control metallurgical processes and products within stipulated specifications.
- Communicate effectively by means of reports, presentations, specifications, drawings and standards.
Admission Requirements and Selection Criteria
- A National Senior Certificate or an equivalent qualification of an equivalent standard.
- Refer to Faculty Regulation EB3 for the minimum admission requirements for the Senior Certificate (until 2008) and the National Senior Certificate (from 2009).
- Recommended subject: Technical Drawing.
- Students who have passed suitable access programmes may be exempted from the minimum requirements.
Award of diploma
A National Diploma in the relevant field of study will be awarded to candidates after successful completion of all theoretical and experiential learning requirements.
Registration and Start Dates
Registration starts in January and lectures in February for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate course work programmes.
All research programmes for Masters and PhD can register throughout the year.
End Date: Academic starts in January and ends in December. Programme deadline is determined by the duration of the programme.