Students who have obtained this qualification will be able to, independently, as well as under supervision, integrate analytical and practical engineering techniques and engineering knowledge to solve well defined and open-ended engineering problems. They will also be able to select criteria to judge processes and outcomes. This qualification is intended for engineering practitioners in industry.
Exit level outcomes: The qualifying student will be able to:
- Apply mechanical engineering principles to diagnose and solve engineering problems.
- Demonstrate mechanical engineering knowledge and skills in one or more specialized areas.
- Engage in mechanical engineering design work, individually, and as part of a team.
- Communicate effectively in a technological environment.
- Apply management principles in an engineering environment.
Admission Requirements and Selection Criteria
- A National Senior Certificate or an equivalent qualification of an equivalent standard.
- Refer to Faculty Regulation EB3 for the minimum admission requirements for the Senior Certificate (until 2008) and the National Senior Certificate (from 2009).
- N4 Certificate, with a minimum pass of 60% in both Mathematics and Physical Science, and a pass in English and one other language.
- Students who have passed suitable access programmes may be exempted from the minimum requirements.
Students will not obtain credit for Work Integrated Learning done on a part-time basis, while registered for full-time study. Students may not register concurrently for Work Integrated Leaning and attendance of lectures during the normal working day without permission of the Head of the Department.
Award of diploma
A National Diploma in the relevant field of study will be awarded to candidates after successful completion of all theoretical and experiential learning requirements.
Registration and Start Dates
Registration starts in January and lectures in February for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate course work programmes.
All research programmes for Masters and PhD can register throughout the year.
End Date: Academic starts in January and ends in December. Programme deadline is determined by the duration of the programme.