This is a broad-based qualification intended to prepare diplomats for supervisory and middle management level employment in the construction industry and for technical and support level in the quantity surveying profession. Students who have obtained this qualification will be competent to support supervisors, managers and quantity surveyors.
Exit level outcomes:
- Supervision of building projects;
- Procurement, administration and management of building projects; and
- Preparation of contract documentation and administration of building contracts.
Admission Requirements and Selection Criteria
- A National Senior Certificate or an equivalent qualification of an equivalent standard.
- Refer to Faculty Regulation EB3 for the minimum admission requirements for the Senior Certificate (until 2008) and the National Senior Certificate (from 2009).
- For NTC4: Mathematics D, Physical Sciences D.
- Students who have passed suitable access programmes may be exempted from the minimum requirements.
Experiential learning must be undertaken at an approved construction company, quantity surveyor’s office, government or local authority department, or other employer, as approved by a Departmental Committee upon submission of a written request and letter of appointment from the employer.
Credit for experiential learning is obtained on approval of a written report and logbook.
Award of diploma
A National Diploma in the relevant field of study will be awarded to candidates after successful completion of all theoretical and experiential learning requirements.
Registration and Start Dates
Registration starts in January and lectures in February for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate course work programmes.
All research programmes for Masters and PhD can register throughout the year.
End Date: Academic starts in January and ends in December. Programme deadline is determined by the duration of the programme.