Earn U.S. Credits Virtually This Summer
Get ahead! Earn extra credit through a globally recognized U.S. education program this summer on our Virtual World DiscoverIES program.
Just picture it: one day you're exploring business ethics with a professor in London and the next it's Japanese pop culture from Tokyo, studying alongside classmates from the U.S.’s highest-ranked colleges and universities. This is what it's like to take a course or two (of your choosing!) from IES Abroad’s most popular centers around the world this summer.
Learn more about how you can discover the world through IES Abroad.
London is the world’s leading city for international finance and a major driver of the global economy. While London is well established as a leader in the arts, digital communications, and marketing, it’s also a major player in education, media, politics, not-for-profits, and the startup industry, making it the perfect location for a semester-long internship abroad.
Build a global network of professional contacts while taking in everything that London has to offer. Our program guarantees an unpaid, for-credit, 14-week internship placement of at least 32-40 hours a week in the field of your choice. Develop your professional skills, your ability to communicate across cultures, and gain real work experience that will jump-start your career in today’s competitive job market.
Before you go, we work with you to find the ideal internship placement that fulfills your career goals. We’ve placed hundreds of students in a wide variety of organizations and businesses. If we don’t currently work with a business or organization in your field of interest, we will search for a placement that’s right for you.
Past students have interned in placements like the examples listed below. Keep in mind that this list is by no means exhaustive. We encourage students of all majors to apply.
- Parliamentary office working to improve government policies and the lives of constituents in their district
- Artist management and music consultancy company
- Finance technology start-up helping users save for their goals and create a personalized budget
- Recruitment company focused on placing finance professionals in permanent, temporary, contract and interim opportunities
- Boutique, independently owned investment advisory company specializing in alternative investments
- Nationally recognized prison arts charity that encourages ex-offenders to change their lives by taking parts in the arts
- A fashion company that works in partnership with an extensive network of international brands and partners for the distribution of quality, branded timepieces, and jewelry in the UK and larger European market
- An internationally awarded theatre company that produces over 30 productions a year
- A social enterprise that invests in world-class, early-stage businesses that generate compelling financial and societal returns
- An organization working to improve the health of the nation by getting more people, more active, more often
- Small, fast-growing technology company focusing on developing secure and data-driven applications with a focus on data analytics
- An award-winning immigration law firm
- Publishing house that publishes novels, essays, memoirs and children’s books
Don’t see what you're looking for? Just talk to your IES Internships Representative. We are always finding new opportunities.
We want you to feel at home in London, so we do everything we can to help you integrate into life in the city. From your work placement to housing to cultural activities, our job is to make sure you have the best internship experience possible. Depending on your work schedule, you may be able to join IES Abroad-organized cultural events and field trips to experience British culture and learn more about your host country and its people. On the weekends, enjoy life in London—exploring its diverse and many neighborhoods, museums, parks, and theaters. Your time interning in London will not only allow you to grow your professional and social circles, and increase your workplace knowledge, but also expand your horizons culturally and globally.
Before you go, we work with you to fine-tune your résumé, perfect your cover letter, and hone your communication and interview skills as we prepare you for working in a new cultural environment. You’ll be guaranteed a placement at a local business or organization that fits your professional interests, based on your experience and current market conditions.
While working in London, you’ll also enroll in a required 3-credit internship seminar with other IES interns, where you’ll gain context for your internship placement by examining cultural issues in and out of the workplace. Topics covered include:
- Understanding workplace culture
- Improving communication
- Strengthening work attitude and aptitude
- Navigating issues, challenges, and opportunities so you can succeed in the job in London and when you return home
Your internship coordinator will work with you to find a placement in the field of your choice, where you will work for 32-40 hours per week. We’ve placed past interns at companies and organizations in the following fields:
- Arts & Museums
- Entrepreneurship & Tech
- Media & Communications
- Not-for-profit Organizations
- Politics & Government
All full-time interns will enroll in the following course:
- IN 395 - Internship Seminar
Field Trips & Events
Though you’ll be living and working in London, you also have the opportunity to join IES Abroad organized field trips that take you beyond the city to discover the culture and traditions of your host country. These trips are available at an additional cost and are dependent on your work schedule.
Stonehenge & Bath
2 Days | Fall & Spring
Visit mysterious Stonehenge and the ancient Roman baths in Bath. Marvel at the collection of world-class couture at the Fashion Museum, and explore the Jane Austen Centre.
1 Day | Fall & Spring
Explore the historic maze of twisting alleyways and enjoy a visit to the Royal Pavilion, one of Europe’s most exotic royal palaces.
1 Day | Fall & Spring
Visit this historic university town, with its picturesque colleges and punting (like a gondola) on the river.
1 Day | Fall & Spring
Spend a Saturday experiencing Liverpool. Enjoy a guided tour around the city, including a visit to the Beatles Museum.
1 Day | Fall & Spring
Visit Shakespeare’s house, which is also the place of his birth, and Holy Trinity Church, where he is buried.
Part of making you feel at home in London is doing our best to help you feel safe and cared for. Whether it is an orientation program that makes you feel prepared, housing that is well-located and comfortable, or the field trips that take you to places off the beaten path—we’re all about our student services.
Our orientation takes place in and around London and is designed to introduce you to the program, your fellow students, and the city.
Our Comprehensive Orientation & Re-Entry Experience (CORE™) begins right when you arrive and continues through the semester with activities focusing on academic and cultural adjustment. Detailed information about housing, public transportation, culture, health and safety, and other important topics are also covered.
Other highlights include a London bus and walking tour, a welcome event, and a visit to the Tower of London.
We want to make sure that your greatest challenge is deciding which landmarks to see first or discovering the best café—not finding a place to live where you feel comfortable. We do our best to locate housing that is reflective of how the locals are living. Our goal is that when you leave London, it will feel like home.
Residence Hall in Central London – You and another IES Abroad student share a room with an en-suite bathroom and have access to a common kitchen or en-suite kitchenette. No meals are included.
There are laundry facilities and WiFi access throughout the building, and you will have access to a fitness facility.
Extracurricular Activities & Cultural Events
Take advantage of the cultural events we organize in London, such as:
- Attending local sporting events, such as the English Premier League
- Going on outings to London’s diverse markets
- Going to world-class performances at London’s many entertainment venues
Consider these prices as a starting point. We encourage you to contact your study abroad office to determine the actual cost to you when factoring in financial aid, scholarships, your home school policies, and other factors.
While in London, we want to ensure you have every opportunity to immerse yourself in new experiences. That’s why our IES Abroad London Center staff is committed to providing outstanding academic and student support services. We take care of the details, so you can soak up every moment of your London experience.
The IES Abroad London Center is an 18th-century Georgian building located in the central London neighborhood of Bloomsbury and a two-minute walk from the British Museum.
Our Center is your connection point for all things IES Abroad.
- Take your IES Abroad courses in the Center’s classrooms
- Meet with staff in their offices
- Study in the library
- Bring your lunch to eat on the outdoor patio
- Meet up with friends in the student lounge
Other features include WiFi, printing facilities, and gender-neutral bathrooms.
The IES Abroad London Center is recognized by The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) for meeting or exceeding UK expectations as a quality higher education provider.
About the School
Everything we do is about the IES Abroad student. Our profoundly passionate team of study abroad professionals believes in creating once-in-a-lifetime educational adventures that transcend expectation ... Read More