Design, Management, Communication, and Startup
Is there specificity in the design project of jewelry? What skills, disciplines or knowledge does it involve? Is it about art, fashion or design? Industry or craftsmanship? Is it a symbol of status and wealth or creativity?
The jewelry is able to establish links between the external world - the one concerning the system of goods, commerce, social relations - and the private world - the intimate one of the identity of each individual, of his own desires and of his own image.
The comprehension of this product requires context slips and involves disciplines that are sometimes distant and heterogeneous: design, decorative arts, anthropology, fashion, marketing, management, branding, retail, communication.
The course deals with the complexity of the jewelry in its many aspects:
- Analysis of cultural interpretations dedicated to jewelry;
- The product: designing contexts and values;
- The production chain;
- Principles of Marketing and Branding;
- Sales, distribution and communication strategies;
- The jewel in the digital world;
- Digital artisans: entrepreneurship and startup in the jewel.
- Director: Alba Cappellieri
- End of registration: 23 December, 2019
- Lectures’ start: 3 February, 2020
- Lectures’ end: 6 March, 2020
- Duration: 5 weeks, 180 hours
- Frequency: 80% of overall classes is the minimum required to get the certificate
- Location: Milan, Campus Bovisa Politecnico
- Value of the course: €3.600 (VAT 22% included)
A reduction of the economic value equal to the 20% for Students and Alumni MFI is provided, while seats last.
The Course is in Italian/English with the possibility of revisions in English for the workshop.
During the whole course an Italian - English bilingual Teaching Assistant.
The course is dedicated to digital artisans and to all those designers or managers who want to embark on a career in jewelry to combine the beauty of the artisan traditions of jewelry with the advantages of digital technologies. The course starts from the different contexts of jewelry to understand the logic that governs the sector, it continues with a focus on the product and its characteristics, then proceeds to the analysis of the entire production chain, the study of the brand and branding, strategies sales, distribution, and communication.
The theoretical lessons and the testimonies of the companies and key players of the sector will follow 3 specialized workshops, dedicated to the design of traditional jewelry, to the creation of a digital collection and to the creation of a startup.
The course is carried out by the Milano Fashion Institute Faculty, composed of academics and professionals in the fields of design, management, and communication in collaboration with leading companies. A multidisciplinary team of teachers, to ensure the most complete understanding of the topics covered, and to enhance the opportunities of the students within the sector of reference.
The course aims to train artisans/designers/managers/digital communicators able to start a career in jewelry and to start a start-up. Attending students will have the opportunity to develop theoretical and practical knowledge about the jewelry field from the point of view of design, of the market, of retail, of communication. The participants will acquire both product and process skills and will be able to collaborate with design companies, jewelry companies, fashion companies, and trade fair organizations.
Why take this course
The jewelry represents a merchandise area with multiple design ideas due to its heterogeneous nature, the coexistence of crafts and digital manufactures. The aim of this course is to offer the student the tools to face the project of a startup in the jewelry and exploit the advantages of digital without renouncing the beauty of a craft.
The educational model is composed as follows:
- Theoretical lessons in the classroom
- Project and Prototyping Workshops
Traditional in classroom lectures are alternated with case discussions, meetings with professionals of the sector, classroom exercise activities and design workshops.
At the end of the course, an MFI certificate is delivered to each student.
The course is structured in 5 modules:
- Module 1: Jewelry Today
- Module 2: Design Workshop
- Module 3: Management
- Module 4: Entrepreneurship and Startup
- Module 5: Digital Communication
The selection process will be based on the evaluation of the CV and the application form.
To apply for admission, the candidate must:
- Fill the online application form, available on https://www.milanofashioninstitute.com/short-courses/apply?lang=en
- Attach the CV in European format in the online application form, available on https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae
After receiving the documents, Milano Fashion Institute will inform the applicant on the selection final result (admission or non-admission).
In order to apply for the admission to the course, the candidate must have a good knowledge of Illustrator software, Photoshop, and the Adobe package and digital modeling software.
The participants are required to have a significant commitment both personally and financially.
The total cost amounts to €3.600, payable as follows:
- 1st installment > €1.800 on the acceptance of the application;
- 2nd installment > €1.800 by 13 June 2019;
Costs include a part of the study material and the use of facilities of the Institute.
Financial aid is provided for Masters students Milano Fashion Institute and Alumni Milano Fashion Institute.