The International Year One in Engineering is equivalent to the first year of an undergraduate degree in the UK. When you pass the course, you'll progress to the second year of an engineering degree in at the University of Exeter.
- a quality assured university programme
- a conditional offer of a place on the second year of a relevant undergraduate degree at the University of Exeter
- full university status from your first day
- a campus based programme with access to university facilities
- a highly supportive study environment to enable swift progression
- university placement for all successful students
Where will it take me?
This course leads to the second year of the following degrees at the University of Exeter:
University of Exeter (Streatham campus)
- BEng Civil Engineering
- MEng Civil Engineering
- MEng (4 years) Civil Environmental Engineering
- BEng Engineering and Management
- MEng Engineering and Management
- BEng Materials Engineering
- MEng Materials Engineering
- BEng Mechanical Engineering
- MEng Mechanical Engineering
- BEng Electronic Engineering
- MEng Electronic Engineering
- BEng Engineering
- MEng Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
If you want to become a professional engineer working in an industry or research laboratory that requires mechanical engineering expertise, this degree is for you.
This degree is an exciting route into multiple areas of industry, such as manufacturing and construction. It's a challenging and rewarding subject that is perfect if you love problem-solving, design and creating things.
You'll get practical, hands-on experience in mechanics right from the start, with an optional year of work experience in the industry. This degree is professionally accredited under license from the Engineering Council, giving you an advantage in the international job market.
Exeter is ranked 10th in the UK for General Engineering
(The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017)
You'll have the unique opportunity to attend lecturers alongside first year university students for some of your academic modules. You'll use industry-standard, three- dimensional Computer Aided Design software, as well as have use of up-to-date laboratory facilities for a variety of tasks such as injection moulding and material testing.
Recent trips included a guided tour of Bloodhound SSC, and Silverstone race track.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is both formal and informal, designed not simply to pass or fail students but, to help you build on your successes and meet the requirements for entry to the second year of a degree. Marks from the International Diploma programme do not count towards the final degree, but help the University assess your abilities in your chosen field of study.
You are assessed through a combination of examination and coursework which may include:
- practical exercises
- group and individual research projects
- oral presentations
- seminar discussion
- class tests
- problem solving exercises
Inside the classroom
Meet some of our students and teachers for the International Year One in Engineering at INTO Exeter:
Key course facts
Course length: 3 terms (9 months)
Start dates: September
Leads to a degree in: Engineering-related subjects
Age: 17 years and above
Academic: A-levels, Foundation, 1st year degree
English language: IELTS 6.0 or equivalent
Don't meet the entry requirements? We also offer an Academic English course
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 7, 2018