International Students Preparation Program PPS English for Bachelor


Program Description

The unique BIC Preparation Program for students who prefer to study their Engineering Bachelor in English.

Your benefits

  • The entire preparation program, as well as the studies at the university are taught in English – there is no need to learn German!
  • Guaranteed place at a partner university – no extra application necessary
  • No tuition fees at the university
  • Small classes for optimal student-teacher ratio
  • Receive an engineering degree in Germany - the country of engineers
  • Optional: TWIN Bachelor Degree Program – finishing higher semester lectures in German for a TWIN degree in English and German


The program gives you direct entrance to the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt (FHWS) once finished successfully. You will receive a conditional offer letter from the FHWS before starting the preparation program.

The entire program is taught in English – no need to learn German!

The preparation program consists of courses (entirely taught in English) in multiple subjects, which are:

  • Mathematics,
  • Physics,
  • IT

The program will prepare you for your final exams, similar to the German Feststellungsprüfung (FSP). The exams will take place at BIC in Berlin.

Prerequisite (before starting the University studies):

Minimum of 83 points on the TOEFL iBT or IELTS certificate of at least 6.0. This prerequisite needs to be met until you start your studies at the University.

Program dates:

  • Preparation program, Part I 06.01. - 03.04.2021
  • Spring Break 04.04. - 19.04.2021
  • Preparation program, Part II 17.04. - 17.07.2021
  • Examinations: 20.07. - 28.08.2021
  • Start lectures (FHWS): October 2021


What documents are required to apply to this program?

  • Passport
  • Copies of secondary school certificates and transcripts (in original language and as legally attested translations in German or English) Graduation with at least 50% of the overall possible points.
  • Copy of Vorprüfungsdokument from uni-assist (if already existing)
  • Copies of university certificates and transcripts (if you attended a university before)
  • TOEFL or IELTS test result (if test has been taken before)
  • Copy of Visa or Aufenthaltsgenehmigung (only applicable for students already residing in Germany)

What is the admission process for this program?

  • Apply via the BIC online application form including entering your personal information, uploading the required documents and paying the 174 EUR application fee.
  • Uni-assist tests your documents regarding your eligibility to study in Germany.
  • The chosen BIC Partner University issues a conditional offer letter on the basis of the uni-assist test result.
  • You receive the acceptance letter from BIC and the conditional offer letter from the university via email and regular mail.

Is it possible to have a feedback if I am eligible to study at a university in Germany before starting the application?

  • A definite answer, if you are eligible to study in a german university or not you will receive only from uni-assist. This is an external institution in Germany which proofs the qualifications of international students and makes an assesment if one is enough qualified to study in a university in Germany or not. Only then we can start to process with your application officially.

Is the application fee of 174 EUR refundable in the case that I receive a negative answer from uni-assist?

  • No, despite of the outcome, the application fee of 174 EUR is required and is not refundable.

Is this program available online?

  • BIC programs are all exclusively at our campuses in Berlin – in the districts Friedrichshain and Treptow.

May I work to finance my studies?

  • Working is not permitted for students with a study-preparation visa during the first calendar year. Only starting with the second calendar year you are allowed to work 120 full days per year or 240 half days per year. Student jobs (at the university or research facilities) are exempted from this rule.

Is accommodation included in the tuition fees?

  • Accommodation is not included in the tuition fees. We provide you with websites, addresses and other tips to find accommodation in Berlin.

Do I need health insurance?

  • There is an obligation by law for all temporary and permanent German residents to have health insurance. For students the coverage that a travel insurance provides is insufficient. Hence, you will need to take out a health insurance from a German private health insurance provider or arrange for an extension of the health insurance you have in your home country, if the specifics of that health insurance cover the requirements that the foreign registration office (Ausländerbehörde) demands.

How high are living costs in Berlin?

  • The German embassy requires proof of international students that they can finance their living costs with at least 835 EUR per month. This is a good reference point. Berlin is a little more expensive than the average city, and costs - e.g. average rent - are rising. Therefore approx. 900 Euro per month are advisable.

Do I have to apply for a visa?

  • Any non-EU student will have to apply for a study-preparation/student visa (national visa). As the application process can take up to 12 weeks, sometimes even longer, you should apply as soon as possible. You can receive advice and guidance from the BIC Admission Team.
  • EU residents only need to register and apply for a residence permit, once they arrived in Germany.

Does BIC help with the visa process?

  • The BIC student advisors will provide you with exact website links, useful tips and information on how to prepare for the visa application.

Do I have to know German to study this program?

  • The PPS English program is taught entirely in English, therefore no German knowledge is required.

Do you offer a scholarship for this program?

  • No, we do not offer any scholarship. But take into account that both domestic and international students can study for free at public universities in Germany, only a small to cover administration and other costs per semester are applied (about 20-200 Euro per 6 months in total).

Can I study at any university other than your Partner universities after completing the preparation program (Studienkolleg)?

  • You can decide to apply to another university in Germany other than our partner universities, only after completing the first year of your studies at the partner university.
Last updated Apr 2020

About the School

Berlin International College (BIC) is a preparation/pathway college in Germany’s capital preparing international students to study at German universities in German or English. BIC is specialized in de ... Read More

Berlin International College (BIC) is a preparation/pathway college in Germany’s capital preparing international students to study at German universities in German or English. BIC is specialized in degrees in engineering, IT, and related technical fields but we also offer programs for business related degrees. As a special service, which is included in all of our programs, students receive a conditional study place at the partner university of their choice. Read less