The International Foundation combines academic study with English language tuition to prepare you for university study. It leads to the first year of an undergraduate degree in business, accounting, finance or management at City University London.
- Guaranteed university placement for all successful students.
- A conditional offer of a place in the first year of a relevant undergraduate degree at City, University of London.
- A quality assured pathway programme.
- Full university status from your first day.
- Access to the University's support and facilities.
- The only International Foundation programme that can guarantee progression to Cass Business School.
- Dedicated personal care and support from INTO.
Is the International Foundation programme right for me?
You should apply for this course if you have completed secondary school education in your home country.
The International Foundation programme provides academic preparation for first year entry. It ensures that you meet the minimum English language requirement for entry to your chosen undergraduate degree programme at City, University of London.
Successful completion of this programme will also allow you to apply for entry to other universities in the UK.
Where will it take me?
This course leads to the following undergraduate degrees at Cass Business School:
Business and Management
- BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance
- BSc (Hons) Banking and International Finance
- BSc (Hons) Business with Finance
- BSc (Hons) Business Management
- BSc (Hons) Business Management, Digital Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- BSc (Hons) Business with Marketing
- BSc (Hons) Business Studies
- BSc (Hons) Finance
- BSc (Hons) International Business
- BSc (Hons) Investment and Financial Risk Management
- BSc (Hons) Management
- BSc (Hons) Economics
- BSc (Hons) Economics and Accountancy
- BSc (Hons) Financial Economics*
*Please note: the BSc Financial Economics is not available for students joining the International Foundation Business and Economics with Accounting in March. For progression to this degree, students will need to join the July, September or January intake.
- BSc (Hons) Finance and Accounting
If you want a career in accountancy or finance, this degree is for you.
It's designed for students to achieve up to eight exemptions towards the Chartered Accountant qualification (ACA), so gives you a headstart on the road to becoming a fully qualified accountant.
It also gives you a solid understanding of all areas of accounting and finance. You'll be able to choose elective modules to broaden your knowledge and focus on the areas that interest you most.
City is ranked 1st in London and 4th in the UK for Accounting and Finance
(Guardian University Guide 2017)
Our 100% progression guarantee:
We guarantee to find you a place to study on an appropriate degree and university if you successfully complete your International Foundation programme, follow professional advice offered by INTO staff and meet minimum attendance requirements.
As a successful pathway student, you’ll have access to a number of university progression options. Each progression option will follow a specific pathway and specific requirements for both English/study skills and overall grade. You’ll also find some courses have specific requirements, such as:
- successfully completing an interview;
- having previously studied a relevant discipline;
- having previously completed a degree; or
- having IELTS 6.0 or equivalent in English language.
Each academic module will be a mix of lectures and seminars with a focus on group work.
The Business and Economics modules provide you with the opportunity to apply academic theory to real life and topical scenarios. You may have to write a business plan to launch a new product, or use economic theory to consider the impact of a change in government policy to a particular industry.
The programme is taught mostly through the use of tablet computers. You can supply your own tablet device, providing it meets required specifications. Tablets can also be purchased from the Centre and collected upon arrival.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is both formal and informal. Entry to all City, University of London honours degrees is highly competitive, so the purpose of the assessment process is to help you improve and build on your success.
Marks from the International Foundation programme do not count towards a final degree, but help the University determine whether you meet key criteria for progression.
You will receive support from your tutor throughout your course and be assessed by a combination of:
- exams at the end of each term
- coursework which may include written assignments, reports, practical exercises, group and individual research projects, presentations and problem-solving exercises.
How is the programme validated?
The International Foundation is validated and quality-assured by City, University of London.
Successful completion leads to the award of the City, University of London International Foundation Certificate (National Qualification Framework Level 3), which is welcomed as an entry qualification both at City, University of London and many other highly-ranked UK universities.
Key course facts
Course length: 2, 3 or 4 terms (6, 9 or 12 months)
Start dates: March, July, September and January
Fees: From £16,995
Age: 17 years and above
Academic: Completed 12 years of schooling with good grades
English language: IELTS 5.0 - 6.0 or equivalent
Don't meet the entry requirements? We also offer an Academic English course
Program taught in: