What is the NCUK International Foundation Year (IFY)?
A qualification designed with our university partners to prepare you for first-year entry to undergraduate degree courses. Studying in small classes with NCUK in your home country before you start your degree will give you the confidence you need before you start your degree course.
Quality is at the heart of everything that we do so our qualifications meet the highest academic standards set by our university partners. As well as academic knowledge, the NCUK International Foundation Year will give you specialist English language, study and cultural skills that are an essential part of your degree course. This unique combination will help you to get into the University of your choice and get on with your future career.
DO I NEED TO TAKE THE IFY?
A foundation qualification is normally required by students who have completed high school outside of the UK education system and/or in a language other than English.
If you have applied directly to university and were not eligible, the IFY programme may be able to help you bridge the gap between your current qualification and university study. If you’re not sure, please speak to one of our Study Centre counsellors.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
- Accelerated Programme: Six months
- Standard Programme: Nine Months
- Extended Programme: Two years
WHAT DO I STUDY ON THE IFY?
Like A Levels, you choose three academic modules from the list below depending on which degree you want to study at university. You may also need to study one of our English for Academic Purposes modules. If you’re not sure which modules would be best for you, our local NCUK Counsellors will be able to advise you.
WHICH MODULES CAN I STUDY ON THE IFY?
You can choose 3 subjects.
- Mathematics for Business
- Mathematics for Engineering
- Mathematics for Science
- Further Mathematics
- Business Studies
- Society and Politics
- International Relations
- Government and Politics
- Art and Design – This module supports students in the preparation of a portfolio in order to apply for UK university programmes in a range of art-related subjects.
English for Academic Purposes
All NCUK English modules provide essential preparation for university study. Your options are:
- English for Academic Purposes for non-native speakers of English
- English for Academic Purposes for Proficient Users for students who have previously studied in English but need an English language qualification for visa purposes
- Research and Communications Skills for students who already have an English language qualification such as IELTS.
WHAT ARE THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS?
You must be 17 years old and have completed 12 years of high school education and have a recognised English language qualification e.g. IELTS 5.0.
Program taught in:
See 2 more programs offered by NCUK »
This course is