The Intensive Plus course is designed for students who wish to supplement their General English Course with extra conversation classes in small groups in the afternoons. The focus in the afternoon classes is on improving fluency skills. The morning lessons are the same as those offered in the Intensive Course. In addition there are six hours of small-group conversation classes over three afternoons (2 hours on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) at three levels starting at Pre-Intermediate. Afternooon classes have a maximum of 8 participants.
- 20 x 60 minute group lessons each week in the mornings
- 6 x 60 minute small-group conversation classes in the afternoons.
A minimum language level of pre-intermediate is required. The afternoon classes are offered at three levels starting at Pre-Intermediate.
Minimum Course Duration
The Intensive Plus Course is designed for students aged 17+
Average Number of Students per class
8-10 per class in the mornings (depending on the time of year). Afternoon classes have a maximum of 8 participants.
Maximum class size
Courses are held year-round in Palmerston Park and Milltown Park. During the summer months, this course may be held at one of our summer centres.
Testing and Placement
Students are given an oral and written test on the first day of their course and placed in a class appropriate to their level of English. Students’ progress is monitored on an ongoing basis and their class level is adjusted accordingly.
Students attending a General Course can also choose to sit the TOEIC examination. Examinations are subject to availability and payment of the appropriate fee.
We use the most up-to date textbooks and teaching materials. Textbooks are not included in the course fee. Students can purchase textbooks from the school or from recommended bookstores in the city centre. Textbooks cost approximately €35. We can include the cost of a first book in your invoice on request.
Please check availability with the Institute before confirming any of our courses. Once the booking is confirmed students can begin their course on any Monday morning at 09.00am.
What is included in the course fee?
- Written and oral placement test
- Tuition (60 minutes per lesson)
- Interesting and stimulating supplementary course materials
- Use of multi-media facilities and free WiFi Ongoing support and monitoring by class teachers and Director of Studies
- Regular seminars such as “Living and Working in Ireland” and “CV Preparation and Interviews”
- Rich and varied Social Programme Diploma on completion of course with personalised student report
- Welcome Kit with guides and maps and student handbook
- Exclusive access to Emerald student website with information, interactive presentations and free learning resources
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017