The Intensive Plus Business Course offers 26 hours of tuition weekly. This course is aimed at students with either an academic or practical business background who wish to supplement their General English course in the mornings with Business English in the afternoons. Modules covered in the afternoon business lessons can include: Presentations, Sales and Marketing, The Language of Business Meetings, Report Writing, E-mail and telephone communication and The Language of Negotiations. Course content varies according to the changing needs of the group.
- 20 x 60 minute group lessons each week in the mornings.
- 6 x 60-minute small group business English classes in the afternoons
This course requires a good intermediate level of English. Students whose level of English is lower than the required standard will be offered a place on the GEN 4 programme (6 hours of small-group fluency lessons in the afternoons) PLUS one hour of individual tuition per week instead of the GEN 7 programme. The Intensive Plus Business afternoon classes have a maximum of 6 students per class.
Minimum Course Duration
- 17+ in the morning classes
- 21+ in the afternoon classes
Average Number of Students per class
8-10 per class in the mornings (depending on the time of year)
Maximum class size
14 in the mornings and 6 in the afternoons.
Courses are held year-round in Palmerston Park and Milltown Park. During the summer months General Courses may be held at one of our summer centres.
Testing and Placement
Students are given an oral and written test on the first day of their course and placed in a class appropriate to their level of English. Students’ progress is monitored on an ongoing basis and their class level is adjusted accordingly.
Students attending this Course can prepare for the following examinations: TOEFL and IELTS. All Examinations are subject to availability and payment of the appropriate fee.
We use the most up-to date textbooks and teaching materials. Textbooks are not included in the course fee. Students can purchase textbooks from the school or from recommended bookstores in the city centre. Textbooks cost approximately €35. We can include the cost of a first book in your invoice on request.
Please check availability with the Institute before confirming any courses. Once the booking is confirmed students can begin their course on any Monday morning at 09.00am.
What is included in the course fee?
- Written and oral placement test
- Tuition (60 minutes per lesson)
- Interesting and stimulating supplementary course materials
- Use of multi-media facilities and free WiFi
- Ongoing support and monitoring by class teachers and Director of Studies
- Regular seminars such as “Living and Working in Ireland” and “CV Preparation and Interviews”
- Rich and varied Social Programme
- Diploma on completion of course with personalised student report
- Welcome Kit with guides and maps and student handbook
- Exclusive access to Emerald student website with information, interactive presentations and free learning resources
This school offers programs in: