Small and medium enterprises (SMEs) are the backbone of the European economy. 99.8% of enterprises which operate in the EU-28 non-financial business sector are SMEs, accounting for 67% of total employment.
In the Barcelona GSE Intensive Course on Investing in Private Equity: Valuation and Financing of SMEs, we explore how SMEs should be valued and financed, and the role that private equity investors can play alongside traditional banks in promoting the growth of SMEs.
Participants will acquire the conceptual tools that are required for the valuation of SMEs and will learn how different forms of financing can be employed to maximize enterprise value. Sessions will also cover M&As of SMEs and the issues that investors face when restructuring SMEs in distress.
The course is taught using a mix of business case studies and lectures.
Course registration will be capped at 30 participants.
- Filippo Ippolito (UPF and Barcelona GSE), course director
- Bo Becker (Stockholm School of Economics)
- Gianluca Capone (BlueMountain Capital Management)
- Luis Mateo (Crédit Suisse)
- Jos van Bommel (University of Luxembourg)
- Learn how to value SMEs
- Learn how financing affects firm value in SMEs
- Learn how private equity funds design deals to invest in SMEs
- Learn how to restructure a firm in distress
- Learn how to structure M&A deals for SMEs
- Directors and executives with some finance background, particularly those working at:
- Financial institutions
- Central banks
- Government agencies
- Acquisition departments of large corporations
- Managers and other professionals from other backgrounds who seek to acquire knowledge in financing and valuation as a tool for making strategic decisions
- Lawyers with some knowledge of finance and accounting
Early-bird Registration and Payment (until Sep 17)
- Regular Fee: €1960
- Reduced Fee (for current students and alumni of Barcelona GSE Master's programs): €1190
Fee (until Oct 10)
- Regular Fee: €2800
- Reduced Fee (for current students and alumni of Barcelona GSE Master's programs): €1700
NOTE: Early-bird registration fee will only be applied if payment is received before September 17. After September 17, regular fee will be applied.
Group discounts available. Special discounts are not cumulative.
All cancelations must be received in advance by email. Participants wishing to withdraw from the course will have their tuition fees totally or partially refunded according to the following policies:
- Before Sep 17: Full refund, except for 200 € to cover administration and admissions expenses
- Sep 17 - Oct 2: 50% of the registration fee charged
- On or after Oct 3: No refund
All refunds will be processed after the course and confirmed by email.
The Barcelona GSE reserves the right to cancel the course if the minimum number of participants is not met.
Please note that participation fees do not include accommodation expenses. Participants must make their own accommodation arrangements. Information and accommodation options are available on the accommodations page.
About the School
Barcelona Graduate School of Economics The Barcelona Graduate School of Economics is an institution for scientific cooperation for research and graduate education in economics and the social sciences. ... Read More