Intensive Academic English
Designed for students interested in pursuing degrees in the U.S., Georgetown’s Intensive Academic English program will help you make the transition to academic life at an American college or university. Our program features full-time intensive courses that emphasize academic writing, reading, grammar, and communication. You’ll engage in lectures and class discussions, give presentations, take organized notes, critically analyze written texts and media, and learn writing and research skills for university-level coursework.
- Ideal for Intermediate to advanced proficiency (CEFR B1-C2)
- Duration: 8 weeks
- Tuition: $4,668
- Program Start: August, October, January, March, May
- Visa Support: Yes
- a CEA-accredited program
- Small class sizes.
- Emphasis on academic writing and source use, critical reading, and strategies for lecture note-taking, public speaking, and class-based discussion.
- Workshops in writing, grammar, pronunciation, and university preparation skills
- Professors with expertise in linguistics and language instruction.
- Cultural activities and extracurricular opportunities.
Courses and Sample Schedule
In the Intensive Academic English program, you'll attend academic programming between 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. during the weekdays, which will include lectures, hands-on activities, group discussions, and workshops. In addition to classroom instruction, you'll complete assignments individually at home, study and complete projects with classmates, and participate in field trips and experiences throughout the Washington, D.C., community. Each week, you'll have opportunities to participate in program and cultural activities, where you can apply the skills you are learning in class, meet students in other programs, and practice your English in comfortable social settings.
Program Dates 2020-2021
- May 18, 2020–July 10, 2020
- August 24, 2020–October 16, 2020
- October 19, 2020–December 11, 2020
- January 11, 2021–March 5, 2021
- March 15, 2021–May 7, 2021
- May 24, 2021–July 16, 2021
Sample Elective Courses
- Grammar Troublespots
- The University Experience (University Course Audit)
- American Culture Through Media
- Professional Networking in English
- Storytelling for Success
- Effective Negotiation in English
About the School
Georgetown University's School of Continuing Studies (SCS) offers graduate programs in professional and liberal studies, more than 30 professional certificate programs, custom and corporate training a ... Read More