Have you studied engineering at BTEC Level 3 and want to progress to a higher qualification?
The Higher National Certificate provides a solid grounding in the key concepts (both mechanical and electrical) and practical skills needed in the modern engineering industry.
This one-year programme is designed for those with a keen interest in problem solving, design, and how things work. It is equivalent to the first year of a degree qualification. On completion of this programme you can progress to the HND in Engineering, also offered at Barking & Dagenham College.
What will I learn?
You will learn project management, electronics, mechanical engineering, engineering science, and materials.
You will study in our industry-standard classrooms, workshops, design suites and labs. Part of your course will also take place in our new Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths Centre.
Your study will include:
- Practical workshops
- Independent study
- Project work
There are eight units:
- Engineering Design
- Engineering Maths
- Engineering Science
- Managing a professional engineering project
- Electrical and Electronic principles
- Material, properties, and testing
- Mechanical principles
- Electronic circuits and devices
What can I do after this course?
On completion of the HNC Engineering you could:
- Progress to an HND in Engineering also offered at Barking & Dagenham College
- Seek employment in the Engineering sector. Please talk to us about your career plans during your interview so we can support you to achieve your ambitions.
You must have:
- A National Diploma, or Extended National Diploma, in Engineering (including maths and science at level 3), or
- Three A-levels (grades A-C), including maths, one science, and one other, or
- A related Access Course in Engineering, or
- A Bridging Certificate in Engineering, or equivalent, related qualifications or work experience.
You need to be self-motivated and able to work independently.
Click here to download the full Engineering (HNC) programme specification.
Awarding Body/ Validated by:
Barking & Dagenham College reserve the right to change course details. Please note that the fees displayed are for the entire course for all one-year courses. Where the course duration is more than 1-year additional fees apply for the subsequent year(s).All course fees are currently based on 2016/17 courses, fees for courses starting from September 2017 onwards may be higher. All courses are subject to satisfactory numbers being accepted. Barking & Dagenham College reserves the right in their absolute discretion to cancel any course which cannot be run economically. Awarding Boards also change courses from time to time. Barking & Dagenham College cannot accept responsibility if the college is closed due to industrial action, adverse weather conditions or natural disasters.
About the School
Why Barking & Dagenham College? It's Simple! We are innovative and provide a great place to learn for students of all ages. Whether your goal is to be your own boss or to work for a global busines ... Read More