This interdisciplinary programme offers all-rounded immersion in contemporary visual arts media and engages students actively with the cultural industries at large. Through collaboration and innovation with the arts sector, the programme creates a lively environment where interdisciplinary arts projects flourish. Graduates are also nurtured to become professional arts practitioners.
From the conceptual to the practical, the two-year programme provides a dynamic and vibrant environment that inspires students to experiment with ideas and develop their own artistic language so as to encourage originalities in art creation. Graduates are cultivated to steer and support their art concepts based on theoretical insights, practical skills and understanding of culture. With faculty mentoring, such concepts can be developed as professional fine artworks as well as the basis for entrepreneurial ideas.
Integration with the arts community is promoted through collaborative work with visiting fellows or artists-in-residence, museum or gallery visits, exhibitions and internships. Such synergy not only enhances their passion for creative engagement but also enriches their practical know-how. The latitude of experience deepens their understanding in the fields of visual arts, culture, curatorial projects and arts management.
This programme is also designed with an emphasis on generic, language and communication training, whole-person development and work experience to better prepare students for further studies and employment after graduation.
- Visual Arts Practice and Making
- New Genre
- Media Art
- History and Theories of Visual Arts
- Community Project and Cultural Management
- English and Communication: Workplace Interaction
- Whole Person Development: Self-efficacy Enhancement
- Information Technology Essentials - Media
- Cultural Studies Fundamentals
- Design Vocabulary and Communication
- History of Visual Arts
- 2D Visual Expression: Image Making
- Photography and Video Making
- Workshop Practice: Computer Aided Imaging
- English and Communication: Workplace Correspondence
- Vocational Chinese Communication: Putonghua Conversation and Reports
- Whole Person Development: SMART in Action
- Whole Person Development: Integrated Career Development
- Creative Thinking 1: Hemispheric Thinking
- Professional Practice: Planning and Portfolio Management for Visual Arts and Culture
- 2D Visual Expression: Image Development
- Workshop Practice: 3D and Extended Media
- Studio Practice: Installation
- Visual Arts Appreciation and Analysis
- English and Communication: Reports
- Whole Person Development: Global Vision
- Creative Thinking 2: Strategic Thinking
- Expanded Studies: Cultural Study Trip / Exchange Programme
- Expanded Studies: Event / Community Workshop for Visual Arts and Culture
- Studio Practice: Media Literacy Based Audio-Visual
- Expanded Studies: Inter-Disciplinary Project for Visual Arts and Culture
- English and Communication: Persuasive Presentations
- Vocational Chinese Communication: Putonghua Presentations and Promotional Text Writing
- Cultural Studies and Design
- Expanded Studies: Master Class for Visual Arts and Culture
- Chinese Visual Arts and Culture Appreciation
- Sustainability in Visual Arts
- Professional Practice: Marketing and Promotion in Visual Arts and Cultural Project
- Studio Practice: Interactive Media Design
- Introduction to Arts and Cultural Management
- English Communication: Promotional Materials
- Aesthetics and Semiotics
- Graduation Project for Visual Arts and Culture
- Expanded Studies: Competition / Commission-Based Project
- Expanded Studies: Applied Research Project
- Studio Practice: Introduction to Art Criticism
Modules Across Semesters
- Industrial Attachment
Remark: Students have to complete the Common Elective Module in Semester 3 or 4.
The HD in Visual Arts and Culture is developing professionals in response to the rapidly growing need of manpower in visual arts related fields in Hong Kong and Asia.
Apart from professional artists, graduates will have the full potential to take up other career opportunities. These include graphic designers, illustrators, photographers, exhibition designer, visual merchandisers etc. They can also be art administrators at the assistant level in art centres, gallery or cultural organisation to run cultural programmes or art exhibitions. The graduates are capable to be future entrepreneurs who can turn concepts into art entrepreneurial ideas or they can be curators, critics, educators, cultural programme administrators in the future.
General Entrance Requirements
Graduate from senior secondary school with proven English language proficiency, eg. IELTS at 5.0 or equivalent.
The applications will be assessed individually by the department concerned.
About the School
The Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI) is a leading design institution under the VTC Group. It provides high-quality education to cultivate knowledge and professionalism and produces emerging talents w ... Read More