The Higher Diploma in Mass Communications provides students with the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the interdisciplinary fields of mass communications, i.e. journalism, film, and multimedia. It equips students with general transferable skills which are of relevance to a wide range of careers in the field of mass communications. The Higher Diploma is designed to help develop students’ analytical techniques and problem-solving skills, enabling them to evaluate evidence, arguments and assumptions in the field of mass communications.
Full Time: 12 months
Part Time: 21 months*
*can be completed in 14-16 months in the intensive mode.
Assessment of the modules includes assignments, projects, presentations, class tests, and/or practical tests.
Teaching and learning
There will be a combination of guided studies, lectures, tutorials, seminars, film studio, presentations, projects, and computer laboratories sessions.
- Foundations of Writing
- Advertising and Public Relations
- Web Production
- Media Communications and Technology
- Introduction to Media
- Global Culture
- Media, Popular Culture and Entertainment
- Film Studies
- Film Production
- Media Representations
- Researching Media
Modules that are currently not offered
- Animation for Digital Production
- Legal and Ethical Issues for Journalists
- Introduction to Screen Theories
- Theories and Techniques of News and Feature Writing
- European Cinema Studies
- Editing and Production
- Print Media Design
Entry Requirements (International)
17 years old
Completed High School or Year 12
Any of the following or equivalent:
- IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL (Paper) ≥ 547 or TOEFL (Computer) ≥ 210 or TOEFL (Internet) ≥ 78 or TOEIC ≥ 780
- Other qualifications equivalent to High School or Year 12 where the medium of instruction is English
- Attend and pass Certificate in English up to Academic English level
Mature Candidates N.A.
GCE ‘O’ Level/NITEC/Higher NITEC holders may consider the following programmes: Foundation Diploma for Tertiary Studies, Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management or Certificate in Tertiary Foundation
GCE ‘N’ Level holders may consider our GCE ‘O’ Level Preparatory Course.
It is important to achieve regular attendance and meet the attendance requirement stipulated by the authorities (eg. Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore) and TMC. Failure to meet the requirement will lead to the following:
- Rejection of Student Pass on re-application/renewal for international students.
- Expulsion where students do not make any improvement in their attendance rate and/or consistently absent from class despite warnings and counselling given in accordance with the school policy
Local fee: $9,433; International fee: $15,250