Higher Certificate in Business in Computer Applications
GMIT Castlebar Campus
The Higher Certificate in Business in Computer Applications imparts an understanding of modern IT in an organisational context and a high level of competency in the use of business applications software. This programme combines the development of IT skills with a critical business awareness that emphasises interpersonal and communication techniques.
Students will gain knowledge and skills in a number of areas including:
- The core business functions (i.e., Marketing, Finance, Economics and Law) and how they are applied in the operation of a business
- The stock market and the management of finances
- ICT skills—creation of websites, development of databases and business applications
- Personal communication skills, develop self-confidence, teamwork and presentation skills
- A foreign language
Core programme Modules may include the following:
- Introduction to Statistics
- PC Applications
- Information Technology 1
- Introduction to Accounting
- Business Mathematics
- Professional Development Skills
- Business PC Applications 1
- Social & Organisational Psychology
- Introduction to Marketing
- Web Development and Information Technology 2
- Introduction to Law
- Advanced PC Applications
- Introduction to Databases
- Macro Economics.
The Elective modules may be chosen from the following:
- Introduction to the EU and Language
- EU Policy
- Business Programming 1
- Personal Finance
- Multimedia Technology & Applications
- Financial Accounting 1 and Language
- Business Programming 2
- Financial Investment
- Quality Management
- Financial Accounting 2 and Language
Graduates will be capable of undertaking a wide range of administrative functions in the modern technology-ased office - in organisations including the financial and commercial services and the voluntary and public sectors.
Successful students may progress to degree (Level 7) programmes at GMIT. These include the BA in Accounting & Financial Management and the Bachelor of Business programmes. Students may also progress to suitable programmes at other institutes.
Pass (Grade D3 or better) in five (5) Leaving Certificate subjects including Mathematics and English or Irish with a minimum of 140 points.
Also available through ACCS mode.
About the School
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT) is based at five locations in the west of Ireland. At the largest campus situated in Galway, we look out on the Atlantic Ocean and are reminded of Francis Ba ... Read More