Higher Certificate in Art and Design
The ability to develop concepts that are unique, creative and applicable is central to any field of art and applied arts.
The Higher certificate is an intensive one year qualification designed to develop students’ academic and artistic skills. It offers a balanced combination of theory and practical skills which are incorporated throughout the qualification. It introduces students to creative thinking, visual conceptualisation, theory and basic research.
Students creative thinking skills are developed through teaching conceptual development techniques which are then applied in the foundation design and visual studies subjects.
This programme has a strong focus on practical application and students will be assisted in the development of an accomplished portfolio of work suitable for presentation for further study. The portfolio will reflect the student’s personal ambitions and career objectives, as well as demonstrate a basic competence in all core skill areas.
On successfully completing this higher certificate, students may go on to study one of the IIE degrees in Graphic, Interior or Fashion Design.
- A NSC with Higher Certificate admission- A minimum of 30 % for English is required;
- A NC(V) with Higher Certificate admission – A minimum of 40 % in English on either First Additional Language or Home Language level, with a minimum of 30 % in either Mathematics or Mathematics Literacy, a minimum of 40% in Life Orientation and a minimum of 50% in four vocational subjects; OR
- A SC (without endorsement) or equivalent– A minimum of five subjects must be passed.
Additional Admission Requirements: All candidates are required to undergo an interview.
- Business Communication C
- Digital Media
- Visual Literacy 1A
- Foundation Drawing A
- Visual Studies
- Creative Writing (Elective)
- Visual Literacy 1B
- Foundation Design
- Foundation Drawing B
- Mathematical Application (Elective)
- Work Integrated Learning
Cost & Fees
Full Settlement Per Annum: R42,500
Instalment Fee (10 months): R45,000
Deposit (Applicable to both fees): R10,000
About the School
The Design School Southern Africa (DSSA) was founded in 1990, and today is a key division of The Independent Institute of Education (Pty) Ltd (The IIE), which is the leading registered private provide ... Read More