Rationale of the Training Course - Eco-Cities: Policies for Sustainable Energy
Half the world’s population now live in built-up areas, with an estimated 60 million people being added every year. This rapid urban growth leads to environmental degradation and excessive demands on services and infrastructure. Energy consumption has increased drastically. To address this it is necessary to develop sustainable urban energy policies and best practices in efficient land use, transport, sustainable buildings and sustainable development overall.
- Concepts and strategic systemic approaches to sustainable urbanisation
- Eco-restoration in Korea: planning, techniques and experiences
- Sustainable urban energy: from concepts to policies, strategies and instruments
- Alternative energy: renewable categories, costs and their implications
- Energy planning and management to address climate change
The course is aimed at high-level policymakers, city and community leaders such as mayors and councillors, high-level officials in central government and the private sector from Asia.
On completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the latest thinking on sustainability and eco-restoration for cities.
- Describe the environmental and economic impact of energy consumption.
- Develop effective and sustainable local energy plans and policies in response to environmental, economic and social challenges faced by cities.
Lectures, discussion, exercises, group work and field visits. Participants will analyse energy policies in Korea and visit a variety of environmental projects implemented in the central and local government levels including community participation processes, such as Chonggye Eco Restoration Project in Seoul city and new town projects. Participants will prepare an individual action plan.
Dates: 23 March-9 April 2020
About the School
Founded in 1958, IHS is the international institute for housing and urban development of Erasmus University Rotterdam founded. For more than 60 years, it has been our mission to develop human and inst ... Read More