The Graduate Program “ Urban Planning & City Branding” at EIVP, Paris School of Urban Engineering provides a multidisciplinary perspective on complex, on-the-ground urban issues, including sustainable planning, mobility, and urban governance.
The core of the program is based on an Urban Planning Project, complemented by a series of seminars focusing on planning and transport issues, and a territorial marketing module. The courses, taught entirely in English, will give a significant place to case studies from international urban contexts. The program is completed by immersion into France's leading research Institution in Transport Planning and networks, IFSTTAR.
“Urban Planning and City Branding” is EIVP first-ever 100% English-taught program and addresses both international students willing to expand their knowledge in urban engineering in the French environment and 3rd-year EIVP students who seek to advance an international career.
The program runs for one semester and comprises courses totaling 30 ECTS. Students attend obligatory fieldwork undertaken by the whole class in an urban context relevant to the program.
The Urban Design Project enables students to get practical experiences in designing an urban development plan. Students will work on a small urban area located in the Paris region with hands-on challenges for transformation. Students will be provided with professional documentation and contacts of key-resource people in order to conduct their analysis under real-life conditions. By the end of the project, students will get the expertise to conduct an in-depth diagnosis of an urban area, identify community needs and develop planning solutions with various urban stakeholders.
Special topics in Transport Planning offers a cross-disciplinary and innovative introduction to theory and methods concerning contemporary mobility and urban environments. The objective is to strengthen the student’s ability to understand and analyze specific cases of contemporary mobilities, delivered by top-notch experts from EIVP partner universities and IFSTTAR.
The City Branding course offers an original yet highly topical take on urban governance issues. As a future city planner, consultant or policy analyst, you will always be faced with the challenge of making your city stand out in a highly competitive environment. The course aims at giving the student the opportunity to reflect on the Impact of urban projects on territorial attractiveness, either for visitors or investors.
The research project is one of the highlights of the program and spans the whole of the semester. Each team of four or five students spends one day a week in IFSTTAR laboratory, working under the supervision of one researcher, on a topic related to the urban issues. The supervising researcher provides methodological expertise and academic guidance.
Finally, International students will also have the opportunity to be initiated to the French language in addition to cultural visits, which will contribute to a perfect understanding of the local social and professional environment.
|Required courses||Teaching methods||Credits|
|Urban Design*||Project course||10|
|Special topics in Transport planning*||Conferences||2|
|City Branding Project||Workshop||2.5|
|Research track||A research program at IFSTTAR laboratory||12|
|French Language and Culture||Seminars||3|
*Eligible for 3rd Year EIVP students as “international options”
What you will learn
- Capacity to analyze, compare and deal with different transport systems, mobility practices and public action in an international context.
- Ability to recognize local assets and competitive advantages to improve the positioning of a territorial offer.
- Ability to produce an urban diagnosis, a planning program and a project for the development of a small urban area.
- Skills to engage with varied stakeholders in the urban development processes.
- Experience in executing theoretically grounded academic research.
- A high level of awareness and skills to understand and respond to cultural diversity and differences in national and international perspectives.
Why study " Urban Planning and City Branding"?
- Benefit from state-recognized expertise in urban engineering at EIVP.
- Validate a full 30 ECTS semester of training with a condensed program promoting a balanced view towards project-based learning and research, local and global perspective.
- Study in Paris, an open-air urban laboratory.
- Learn from research lecturers and urban-planning professionals from highly diverse backgrounds.
Exchange or visiting students
The “Urban Planning and City Branding” is available as a full 30 ECTS program for exchange and visiting students. Modules can also be selected separately and completed with courses from the Engineering curriculum in French.
Entry requirements: the program is open to candidates with BSc / BEng degree or the French equivalent “license”, preferably in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning or Architecture as well as first/ second year students of relevant Master degree.
This program is open to all students who complete admission requirements, including free movers from non-partner institutions.
3rd-year EIVP student
3rd Year students selected on their English Level will be eligible to follow 3 modules from the program as “international options”.
Urban Design: an alternative to “PEU”
Special Topics in Transport Planning: an alternative to “Planification des transports”
City Branding: an alternative to “Marketing”
- Candidates with BSc / BEng degree or the French equivalent “license”, preferably in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning or Architecture may apply as well as first/ second year students of relevant Master degree.
- This program is open to all students who complete admission requirements, including free movers from non-partner institutions. It is eligible for the ERASMUS exchange.
- Candidates must provide proof of English proficiency equivalent to B2 of the CEFR. Knowledge of the French language is recommended but not mandatory.
International & visiting students: see the “Incoming students” page for information related to the application to EIVP.
For EIVP students: application e-mail to email@example.com till the 1rst of June.
For all applicants, proof of English proficiency equivalent to B2 of the CEFR is requested.
About the School
The EIVP is part of the Conférence des Grandes Ecoles, a network representing business and engineering schools training their students towards excellence. Through an independently-established curricul ... Read More