Graduate Diploma in Translation and Interpreting
Provide a critical link in developing and facilitating communication between people around the globe.
This program has been designed for you to develop professional translating and/or interpreting skills and a sound knowledge of underlying theoretical approaches and industrial issues.
You’ll be trained to work as a professional translator and/or interpreter in both domestic and international contexts in the public service; the legal, health, business and security fields; and international relations.
Graduates who successfully complete the requisite core and elective courses at the required standard will be recommended for nationally recognised accreditation as a professional translator and/or interpreter.
Successful completion of the program provides a pathway to completing the related MC214 Master of Interpreting and Translating with an additional year of study.
The Graduate Diploma incorporates 96 credit points.
The program structure includes a range of translating, interpreting, discourse and theory courses. Translating and interpreting electives may not be available in all languages and are offered subject to minimum numbers. All courses are worth 12 credit points unless otherwise noted.
- Theoretical bases of translating and interpreting
- Ethics and professional issues
- Discourse studies for translators and interpreters
- Translation and technology.
- Elective courses required for NAATI accreditation:
- Translation accrediting practice (24 credit points) and/or
- Interpreting accrediting practice (24 credit points).
Other program elective courses:
- Translation and technology
- Pedagogy of translating and interpreting.
You can also specialise your practice through additional elective courses in cross-cultural communication; social, health and welfare services; justice and security services; and international trade relations in Australia or overseas.
Successful completion of an Australian Bachelor degree or equivalent. Applicants with significant relevant work experience may also be considered.
Applicants with significant relevant work experience may also be considered.
You are required to submit a completed Bilingual Test along with your application.
English language requirements:
To study this program you will need to complete 1 of the following English proficiency tests:
- Academic IELTS (minimum scores) overall band of 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL (Paper-based): minimum score of 580 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): minimum score of 92 with a minimum of 20 in each section
- Cambridge English (Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B
- Pearson: Minimum score of 58 (no band less than 50).
This school offers programs in: