You are already a creator and designer, a disciplined and innovative thinker who brings ideas to life with graphic designs, photography, broadcasting or animation. If you have basic video editing and computer skills and know your way around Adobe Photoshop and have the diploma under your belt to prove it, you're ready to expand your skills for the post-production industry with a graduate certificate in Visual Effects and Editing for Contemporary Media.
You'll work with other future leaders in the field, as well as independently, to develop professional techniques and terminology to use software for video and audio editing, motion graphics, 3D animation, compositing, and Visual FX. You'll also get practical instruction and an internship within the post-production industry, gaining valuable job training and industry networks. Your post-production skills will be practical, yet generic enough that you can apply what you know in a variety of jobs in the industry. You'll learn how to work with digital data and will practice working on deadlines in real-life client settings.
You'll emerge from the program with the skills, knowledge and practical tools for a career in the modern media landscape. You'll be able to show potential employers your creative abilities with a professional demo reel, and the theories you learn will help prepare you for the fast-paced changes this industry requires.
Brock University joint degree/diploma
Brock University and Fanshawe College have developed an articulation agreement to allow qualified students to obtain both a four-year Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Film Studies and an Ontario College Graduate Certificate in Visual Effects and Editing for Contemporary Media. Students can start at Brock or Fanshawe and receive credit transfer under this articulation agreement.
Admission Requirements - 2019/2020
An Ontario College Diploma, or Ontario College Advanced Diploma, or Ontario College Graduate Certificate from Fanshawe College in:
- Broadcasting - Television OR
- Fine Art OR
- Multi-Media Design and Production OR
- Interactive Media Design OR
- Interactive Media Design and Production OR
- Graphic Design OR
- 3D Animation and Character Design OR
- Photography OR
- Video Game Design
(Note: minimum 'B' average or 3.0 GPA from one of the above programs)
An equivalent qualification from another institution as judged by the College
(Note: minimum 'B' average or 3.0 GPA)
Professional background and experience as judged by the College to be equivalent to the above.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 570 for the paper-based test (PBT), or 88 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 59, with test results within the last two years.
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 176 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years.
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years.
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10.
Recommended Academic Preparation
Recommended Personal Preparation
- Students should be proficient in basic video editing and computer skills.
Applicant Selection Criteria
Where the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario.
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full).
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements.
- Preference will be given to graduates of the Fanshawe College Broadcasting - Television program with most recent graduates having priority.
Applicants with less than a 'B' average will be considered only on the recommendation of the Academic Manager.
Visual Effects and Editingýfor Contemporary Media-2019/2020
||Visual Effects 1
||Post Production Development
||Digital Applications Theory
||Post Production Editing 1
||Visual Effects 2
||Post Production Editing 2
||Digital Applications Theory
||Post Production Development 2
Students Must Complete a Minimum of 9 credits in this program at Fanshawe College to meet the Program Residency requirement and graduate from this program
Graduates of the Visual Effects and Editing for Contemporary Media program will work in video or film editing, visual effects, compositing, animation and motion graphics.