Prepare for your career by becoming a BIM specialist
The BIM and Integrated Practice program is structured for individuals with previous BIM experience who are looking to expand their knowledge in a rapidly growing industry.
Courses will explore current industry topics such as BIM implementation, BIM strategy, clash detection and BIM collaboration among many other relevant items. These courses will provide the student with greater insight into the world of BIM management and associated technologies.
Foundational knowledge of Autodesk Revit is recommended for program entry. All applicants will be asked to provide proof of training or prior learning of Revit before beginning the program.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of BIM technology and its use in the work environment. In addition, all applicants must be able to competently use Revit or other BIM technologies.
- Develop an implementation plan for Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) in the Architecture, Engineering, and/or Construction industries.
- Formulate strategies for leadership and personnel management, and apply team-building skills in an interdisciplinary setting to develop collaborative design and construction solutions.
- Analyze BIM processes and execute appropriate BIM management techniques to facilitate Integrated Project Delivery from project conceptualization to facilities management.
- Conduct project risk analysis using BIM and IPD processes to optimize project outcomes for all stakeholders.
- Deploy BIM computer platforms to create virtual building information models and generate presentation elements.
- Integrate various suites of BIM applications into project design, construction, and facilities management to improve the transfer of information between different disciplines and during all phases of a building's life cycle.
Take all of the following Mandatory Courses:
- BIMM-6001 BIM Technology
- BIMM-6002 BIM Software Integration
- MGMT-6099 BIM Management 1
- COMM-6019 Advanced Professional Communication
- MGMT-6100 Integrated Practice for AEC Sector
Take all of the following Mandatory Courses:
- BIMM-6005 BIM Integrated Project-Capstone
- ENGR-6003 Building Energy Modelling
- MGMT-6101 BIM Management 2
- BIMM-6003 Practical Implementation of BIM
- BIMM-6004 Digital Presentations in Construction
Students must complete a minimum of 10 credits in this program at Fanshawe College to meet the program residency requirement and graduate from this program.
Pixabay / Pexels
- A Three-Year College Diploma, or a Degree in a construction-related field
- An equivalent qualification from another institution as judged by the College
- An acceptable combination of related work experience and post-secondary education as judged by the College*
- Applicants must provide proof of knowledge and/or experience in fundamental BIM-enabled platforms. Autodesk Revit is preferred**
*Applicants may be required to submit a resume and cover letter that includes details of work experience.
**Applicants are required to provide training certificates or transcripts and course information sheets for BIM courses completed.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 88 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 59, with test results within the last two years
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 176 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10
Recommended Personal Preparation
Individuals interested in the BIM certification program would benefit from further personal investigation of BIM technology prior to the course study. Individuals could also further develop their skills with Autodesk Revit, Autodesk Navisworks, and rendering software and any other software that may be relevant to their studies.
Applicant Selection Criteria
Where the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario.
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full).
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements.
- BIM Managers
- Project Managers / Coordinators
- VDC Coordinators
- BIM Technologists / Technicians
- BIM Modellers / Content Developers
About the School
Fanshawe College is a large, publicly-funded College located in London, Ontario, Canada – approximately a two-hour drive from Toronto and Niagara Falls. There are 21,000 full-time students, including ... Read More