Advanced Communication for Professionals is offered to international students only.
In today's increasingly digitally-connected and knowledge-based economy, communication skills are crucial for professional success across a wide array of sectors.
Advanced Communication for Professionals is an Ontario College Graduate Certificate program that supports learners and professionals in further developing their written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
Canadian employers are increasingly emphasizing the importance of these skills for hiring and promotion; this program, therefore, cultivates excellence in workplace communication, interpersonal communication, writing and reports, and project development. Graduates will enjoy enhanced employability and advancement potential.
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Make effective rhetorical decisions to create focused, well-structured documents and presentations that implement professional stylistic conventions.
- Analyze and successfully respond to the communication expectations of various professional audiences when creating professional documents and presentations.
- Employ effective leadership skills in professional environments to promote increased communication efficiency and improved workplace collaboration.
- Edit and adapt professional messages for multiple contexts and diverse media.
- Synthesize sector-related research to produce relevant, persuasive reports.
- Comply with intellectual property rights when synthesizing, citing, or repurposing others' work in professional documents and presentations.
- Produce visually effective documents and presentations.
- Facilitate positive and productive interpersonal communication in the workplace to build and maintain strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage a collaborative project to ensure that it meets all required parameters (e.g. scope, timelines, etc.).
Take all of the following Mandatory courses:
- COMM-6029 Communication Literacy & Ethics
- COMM-6019 Advanced Professional Communication
- COMM-6034 Reading, Writing & Audience Analysis-Adv
- MGMT-6089 Leadership & Management Fundamentals
- PSYC-6005 Comm Psychology for Professionals
- PSYC-6006 Conflict Management
- COMM-6030 Editing for Professional Documents-Adv
- COMM-6031 Writing for the Web
- MGMT-6061 Agile Project Development
- COMM-6032 Professional Presentations
- RSCH-6001 Navigating the Research Landscape
- COMM-6033 Reports-Adv
Students must complete a minimum of 11 credits in this program at Fanshawe College to meet the program residency requirement and graduate from this program.
- A Two- or Three-Year College Diploma, or a Degree
- An acceptable combination of related work experience and post-secondary education as judged by the College to be equivalent to the above*
*Applicants may be required to submit a resume and cover letter that includes details of work experience.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 88 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 59, with test results within the last two years
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 176 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10
Applicant Selection Criteria
Where the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario.
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full).
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements.
Graduates of Advanced Communication for Professionals will possess in-demand transferable skills that are desirable across all employment sectors and that enhance graduates’ advancement potential. In particular, career opportunities exist in the following fields: business, finance, health care, information technology, management, and technology.
About the School
Fanshawe College is a large, publicly-funded College located in London, Ontario, Canada – approximately a two-hour drive from Toronto and Niagara Falls. There are 21,000 full-time students, including ... Read More