Characters are the heart of every game, video, or marketing campaign. They're at the heart of your interest in 3D Animation, too. Bring your characters to life. Make them breathe. Give them a personality.
With the 3D Animation and Character Design program, you'll hone your previous multi-media skills into a valued and sought-after skill in the job market. You'll animate your ideas for game engines/development by life drawing and storyboarding, 3D modeling, texture mapping and lighting, character design, video editing, and audio effects creation.
You'll develop your creative concepts with like-minded and creative classmates. You'll plan and manage projects. With every step of the program, you'll see your ideas and dreams come to life.
You'll be prepared to work as a 3D animator, character designer, effects artist, storyboard artist and level designer for the film, video, animation, and game industries. Your skills will help you land jobs with companies creating television commercials, industrial and commercial videos, and educational material. How about architecture or real estate designs and promotions? These days, your skills will take you to limitless places.
Your ability to create characters while nurturing your love of design is the first step. Taking these passions into the dynamic media technology sector will be your destiny.
A College Diploma, or College Advanced Diploma, or College Graduate Certificate in:
- Multi-Media Design and Production OR
- Interactive Media Design and Production OR
- Interactive Media Design OR
- Visual Arts OR
- Broadcasting - Television OR
- Interactive Media Specialist OR
- Advanced Multimedia OR
- Broadcast Television - Digital Post-Production OR
- Advanced Filmmaking OR
- Visual Effects and Editing for Contemporary Media OR
- Graphic Design
A Degree in Fine Arts, Media or Design
An equivalent qualification from another institution as judged by the College
A combination of relevant education and work experience in a related field as judged by the College to be equivalent to the above and completion of a portfolio*
*The portfolio submission is required to demonstrate creative and technical abilities (any combination of graphic design, print, traditional and digital illustration, 3D computer work, life drawing, etc.).
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 570 for the paper-based test (PBT), or 88 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 59, with test results within the last two years.
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 176 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years.
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years.
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10.
Recommended Academic Preparation
- It is highly recommended that students have previous visual arts education or training.
Applicant Selection Criteria
Where the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario.
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full).
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements.
- Assessment of Applicant's skill set relevant to the program based on Portfolio*.
3D Animation and Character Design-2019/2020
||Life Drawing & Character Studies
||Animation for Characters-Intro
||Texture, Lighting & Rendering 1
||Anatomy & Character Study
||Animation for Characters 2
||Project Development Thesis
||Digital Character Project/Thesis
Graduates of this program will be prepared to work as 3D animators, character designers, effects artists, storyboard artists and level designers for the film, video, animation, and game industries. They will also be well prepared to work for companies creating television commercials, industrial and commercial videos, and educational material.