Designed for working information security professionals, the graduate certificate in Purple Team Operations is a highly technical 15-credit-hour program focused on merging the applied concepts, skills, and technologies used by blue teams (digital defenders) and red teams (digital attackers) - so you can effectively operate and lead at the intersection of those domains, in the current best practice known as purple operations or purple teams.
As the information security industry continues to evolve and mature, organizations are increasingly implementing a more collaborative alternative to the old-fashioned red team vs. blue team methodology. The SANS Technology Institute's Purple Team Operations graduate certificate is the first program of its kind designed to produce technically proficient leaders who are experienced in both domains and are prepared to lead purple teams and operations in increasingly sophisticated ways.
In this hands-on program, you'll begin with a foundational course, then progress through more advanced courses (both blue and red team electives). The capstone course synthesizes your purple team knowledge and skills, culminating with a Defend-the-Flag challenge. You'll emerge from the Purple Team Operations program with 5 industry-recognized GIAC certifications, earned as you progress through the program, in addition to a graduate certificate.
A 100% online option is available.
Applications are accepted monthly.
Learn How To
- Implement a transformational security vulnerability assessment program using fundamental network security knowledge, skills, and tools.
- Master essential defensive techniques and identify indications of an attack in order to detect, respond to, and mitigate incidents on enterprise networks.
- Understand and implement attacker techniques and utilize the full range of penetration techniques in order to breach a network, pivot within it, and disrupt, exploit, or exfiltrate data from it.
- Integrate a broad range of blue team and red team tools, technologies, and mindsets to maximize the synergy of full-spectrum purple security activities.
Required Courses | 9 credit hours:
- ISE 6310: Enterprise Threat and Vulnerability Assessment | SEC 460, GEVA
- ISE 6215: Advanced Security Essentials - Enterprise Defender | SEC 501, GCED
- ISE 6250: (Certificate Program Capstone): Defeating Advanced Adversaries - Purple Team Tactics & Kill Chain Defenses | SEC 599, GDAT
Blue Elective Courses | 3 credit hours:
Students select one of the following.
- ISE 5401: Intrusion Detection In-Depth | SEC 503, GCIA
- ISE 6240: Continuous Monitoring and Security Operations | SEC 511, GMON
Red Elective Courses | 3 credit hours:
Students select one of the following.
- ISE 6320: Network Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking | SEC 560, GPEN
- ISE 6360: Advanced Penetration Testing, Exploit Writing, and Ethical Hacking | SEC 660, GXPN
"I have my master's in computer science, but I completed two graduate certificate programs with SANS so I could truly dive deep into technical areas of cybersecurity and learn from instructors who are leading the industry."
Senior Engineering Manager, Adobe
The SANS Technology Institute Advantage
Online and In-Person Study Options
- Choose from a variety of online and in-person course delivery options. A 100% online option is available.
Flexibility for Working Professionals
- Monthly admissions windows mean you can start on your schedule and earn the graduate certificate in roughly two years.
Credentials that Showcase Your Skills
- Earn 5 industry-recognized GIAC certifications that validate your skillset in critical, specialized areas of InfoSec.
- Learn skills you can use immediately on the job from some of the world's best cybersecurity instructor-practitioners.
Pathway to a Master's Degree
- Credits earned in the certificate program may be applied directly toward the master's degree program should you later apply and be accepted.
About the School
The SANS Technology Institute prepares the next generation of cybersecurity professionals for what they will face in the field. Our programs are distinguished by our world-class faculty; our emphasis ... Read More