Designed for working professionals in information technology, information security, and audit, who want to develop a technical base in cyber skills, the Cybersecurity Engineering (Core) graduate certificate program spans from an introductory survey of fundamental information security tools and techniques to a more advanced study of the interrelationships between offensive and defensive information security best practices.
“Earning a graduate certificate from the SANS Technology Institute is what really accelerated my career," said David Cox, Manager of Cyber Threat Management at EY. "The technical skills I learned in the program have given me the confidence to successfully lead my team and prepare them for new challenges.”
Students enrolled in this program complete the 3 foundational courses, or the “Core,” of the full master’s degree curriculum and choose an elective course to begin developing advanced skills in a specific area of information security.
Applications are accepted every month on the 15th of the month.
Learn How To
- Use a broad range of current tools and technologies in the design and implementation of security solutions deployed across organizations.
- Analyze network traffic to extract the observable characteristics of networks and network devices, thus providing a basis for defensive strategies.
- Assemble tools and configure systems and networks to permit systems to foster resiliency and continuity of operations through attacks.
- Understand important attacker techniques, engage in penetration testing within your organization, and respond to incidents associated with these activities within your organization.
Total credits required: 13 credit hours
Survey Course | 3 credit hours (students choose 1)
- Security Essentials | GSEC certification
- Advanced Security Essentials | GCED certification
Core Courses | 7 credit hours
- Hacker Tools, Techniques, Exploits, & Incident Handling | GCIH certification
- Advanced Network Intrusion Detection & Analysis | GCIA certification
- Core Comprehensive Exam
Elective Course | 3 credit hours
- Students select one technical elective from an approved list | GIAC certification
Who Should Enroll
The Cybersecurity Engineering (Core) graduate certificate program is ideal for information technology professionals with a year or more of experience working with network infrastructures, or for information security professionals who are or seek to be involved in detecting and responding to malicious traffic in order to build defensible networks. It is also a great choice for information professionals who are unable to enroll in the full master's degree program, but who would benefit from taking all three of the technical graduate courses at the core of the Information Security Engineering master's program.
Please note that the SANS Technology Institute’s programs are non-residential. Although the college is based in Maryland, USA, its in-person trainings take place across the United States and around the world. The college’s online study options can be completed from anywhere you have access to the Internet. At this time, the SANS Technology Institute does not issue I-20s or support F-1 student visas.
The SANS Technology Institute Advantage
Live and Online Study Options
The graduate certificate program can be completed entirely online, through immersive weeklong live courses, or in combination.
Flexibility for Working Professionals
Monthly admissions windows mean you can start on your schedule and earn the graduate certificate in roughly two years.
Credentials that Showcase Your Skills
Earn industry-recognized GIAC certifications that validate your skillset in critical, specialized areas of InfoSec.
Learn skills you can use immediately on the job from some of the world's best cybersecurity instructor-practitioners.
Pathway to a Master's Degree
Credits earned in the certificate program may be applied directly toward the master's degree program should you later apply and be accepted.
About the School
The SANS Technology Institute prepares the next generation of cybersecurity professionals for what they will face in the field. Our programs are distinguished by our world-class faculty; our emphasis ... Read More