North Iowa Area Community College considers education to be the foundation of a democratic society. At the core of the educational experience is general education, an ongoing endeavor that engages students in acquiring the knowledge and tools necessary to under-stand their environment and contribute to their communities.
Purposes of the degree:
Provide a degree goal for students who choose to follow a course of study which is specifically designed for transfer to a baccalaureate degree program. Provide the essential general education, grade, and semester hour requirements for upper division status at most senior colleges and universities.
Requirements for the degree include:
- Completion of at least sixty-two (62) semester hours of work consisting of courses whose principal design is for a baccalaureate program. Up to 16 semester hours of career courses can be used as elective credit. Developmental courses cannot be used to meet this requirement.
- One-half of the required semester hours must be completed under the aegis of North Iowa Area Community College including 15 of the last 30 semester hours.
- A minimum overall cumulative grade point average of 2.00 (C) including a 2.00 (C) cumulative grade point average in all course work at NIACC. Developmental courses are not used in calculating the cumulative grade point average for graduation.
- Completion of College Essentials (1 s.h.) – SDV-199
- Completion of the following General Education Core with a minimum of 41 semester hours:
Communication 9 s.h.
This requirement can be satisfied by baccalaureate-oriented communication or speech courses with a minimum of two courses in English composition.
Social Sciences 8 s.h.
Humanities 8 s.h.
Performance courses such as vocal and instrumental music may satisfy no more than four hours of this requirement. (Additional performance courses will be counted as elective credit.)
Natural Science/Mathematics* 8 s.h.
(including at least one math and at least one science course)
Distributed Requirement 8 s.h.
(to be taken from among the four divisions above)
*It is recommended that students take a minimum of four semester hours of laboratory science.
About the School
North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) is a nationally-ranked, two-year institution located in North Central Iowa that serves students of all ages and abilities. Starting in 1918 as Mason City Juni ... Read More