If you love computer games and would like to develop and programme your own, then this Level 3 Games Technology course is the perfect way to prepare for a creative career or university.
LEARN THE FUNDAMENTALS OF GAME DESIGN & APPS
Learn about the fundamental design principles and techniques for creating games and interactive applications using Autodesk Maya and Adobe Photoshop.
WORK WITH ADVANCED GAMES ENGINES
Familiarise yourself with high-end 3D game engines, such as Unreal Engine 4 and Unity, using scripting and node-based systems.
TEST YOUR OWN GAMES
Create test cases and experience bug tracking, focus testing, and quality assurance.
DEVELOP BUSINESS SKILLS
Understand how the games and media industries work and how to market yourself successfully.
START YOUR CREATIVE CAREER
Choosing this Games Technology Level 3 course will give you the skills to go on to university or into creative work.
The creative sector is one of the fastest growing areas of the UK economy and a great and exciting place in which to work.
This Games Technology course can lead on to:
- A creative degree at a university where you can gain further skills in preparation for work. This may be a Games development/programming degree or another subject which takes your fancy. You will need to complete both years of the course in order to generate the UCAS points for university entry. Access is developing a new range of creative degrees which will offer a perfect progression from 2019.
- Employment, or self-employment, in the creative industries. This may be as a games developer/ programmer, or it may be into another area of the creative industries.
- A creative apprenticeship as a stepping stone to work.
GET INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
Being at Access is so much more than just doing a course. You will have the chance to get the first-hand experience of the games and creative industries.
Here are some of the opportunities you can take advantage of:
- MASTERCLASSES: Access promotes industry masterclasses from games professionals. These enable you to gain advice and guidance from working practitioners.
- TWINE: All our students get free Twine membership, which is an online platform allowing creative people to collaborate on projects and earn money!
GET A QUALIFICATION
On successful completion you will get a recognized qualification which you can add to your creative CV:
- Two years BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Digital Media Production. This can generate up to 168 UCAS points on the current tariff. Please note these UCAS points are for a Distinction* and lower grades generate considerably fewer points.
- The Extended Diploma is equivalent to three A Levels.
DURATION & FEES
- The Games Technology level 3 course lasts for two years.
- It is usually delivered over three to four days per week from September to June (daytime). How long you are in college will depend on what additional English and Maths sessions you need to attend.
- If you aged 16-18 on 31st August 2018, and/or at the start of your Games Art course then the course is FREE
- If you aged 19+ on 31st August 2018, and/or at the start of your Games Technology course then you will have to pay £4670 per year, unless you are studying for a first full level 3 qualification in which case the course is FREE. However, you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the cost of this course. You will only have to repay the loan when you start to earn over £25,000 per year.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS & SIGNING UP
Applying for this Games Technology course is easy.
All you need to do is fill in our online application form and we will get back in touch with some suggested dates of when we can meet up to discuss it further.
- SKILLS SET: We value your creative passion and skills above all else. However, you will also need to demonstrate that you are able to work at Level 3 (A Level standard). For school leavers, we will require evidence of your predicted and actual grades, backed up by a school reference. Please note you will not be able to enroll if you will be under the age of 16 on 31st August. Applications from people under this age are still welcome but will be deferred to the following year.
- INTERVIEW: You will be invited to an interview. Please come prepared to talk about creating art and illustrations and playing computer games. You might want to talk about what computer games you like or have created, and identify what new skills you would like to learn.
Program taught in:
See 9 more programs offered by Access Creative College »
This course is
per year, if you aged 19+ on 31st August 2018. Free for 16-18 years old students.