Foundation Year in Engineering
Course leve: l3
Centre: Applied Sciences
Student Type: Adults (19+)Higher EducationInternational
This Engineering Foundation Year is the first year of a four year BEng Degree course or a five year MEng Degree course, delivered by City University, London. It allows you to study at degree level even if you don't have the standard university entry requirements or are returning to education to brush up your technical knowledge and study skills. It allows you to progress to a range of Engineering degrees (at City University, London), and gives you access to state-of-the-art labs and close teacher support.
Study on this foundation year will take place mostly at City and Islington College, but you will take some laboratory classes at the School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences at City University, London.
What you learn
The course covers the following key modules:
- Electrical and Electronic Principles
- Electrical Science
- C Programming
- Study Skills
- Electronic Hardware
- Software Experiments.
You will also choose one of the following optional modules: Computer Hardware or Biomedical Engineering.
Assessment is continuous and is mostly based on practical assessments and periodic written tests to demonstrate your knowledge.
Progression onto the relevant degree course at City University London is automatic on passing the Foundation Year.
The degree courses are:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Engineering with Management
It may be also possible to transfer to a Mechanical, Civil, Motor Vehicle or Aeronautical Engineering degree course depend on your overall achievements average mark and agreement between the two departments.
160 UCAS points from one of the following:
- 2 A Levels, including Mathematics at Grade C and Physics at Grade D
- BTEC National Diploma or Certificate with Merit in Mathematics or Engineering Science
- Advanced GNVQ with Merit in Engineering or Science
- A recognised Access to Higher Education Certificate in a related subject.
- 4 GCSEs at Grade C including English Language and Mathematics with Science desirable, or equivalent.
- Students for which English is a second language are required to pass the IELTS test achieving a minimum of level 6.
Applicants who do not meet these entry criteria will be considered based on equivalent qualifications, previous experience, a College assessment and an applicant interview.
Overseas qualifications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
About the School
We are the first choice Further Education College for thousands of young people across London who achieve excellent academic results. 1400 of our students progressed to higher education last year. It ... Read More