The UK dairy industry is facing one of its most challenging periods to date. In order to run a successful business, modern dairy farmers need to combine scientific knowledge with practical and business management skills in order to produce high-quality milk while minimizing cost and safeguarding the environment.
Ideally situated in the premier dairy county of Cheshire, Reaseheath has a national reputation for its delivery of quality training within the specialist field of dairy herd management. This unique course will enable you to develop an understanding of the technical, economic, legal and managerial principles relating to dairy farm businesses, identify the effects of environmental and ethical issues in the dairy industry and offer specialist practical skills associated with dairy farming.
The course includes opportunities for practical skills work such as foot trimming, veterinary medicine training, and on-farm practical demonstrations. Students undertake a minimum 10 weeks work placement and have the opportunity to go on farm visits and study tours in the UK and abroad.
The course features:
- The 272-hectare college farm houses the Reaseheath Holsteins herd of 260 pedigree Holsteins, plus young stock.
- A commercial flock of 500 North Country Mule breeding ewes and 120 breeding sows housed in a high welfare commercial pig unit.
- World-class industry standard teaching facilities.
- The cropping includes grass silage, maize silage, Lucerne, wheat, and barley.
- 32/32 rapid exit milking parlor.
- Anaerobic Digester.
What will I study?
You will gain a wide range of management skills and academic knowledge which will help you to understand the scientific basis of dairy farming and efficient milk production, and enable you to make informed decisions to benefit your business.
The course is broken down into the modules set out below which are completed over 2 years.
Classroom sessions are timetabled over two consecutive days.
- A minimum of 64 UCAS points
- A Levels preferably including Biology (or related subject)
- Or BTEC Level 3 qualification (2 years) at Merit in a relevant subject
- Access to HE Diploma
- Mature students (aged 21+) will be considered on an individual basis and substantial work experience will be considered, as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications.
- One year top-up route to gain a full BSc (Hons) Agricultural Business, Development, and Leadership.
- Dairy herd management
- Dairy farm consultancy
- Dairy sales and marketing
As a Higher Education student you will have two main costs to meet; your tuition fees and living costs.
Our full-time tuition fees for UK and EU students entering University in either 2017/18 or 2018/19 are £7,860. These fees are charged for each academic year of a course and are set by the college annually.
If you are an international student or for the latest information on tuition fees visit the student finance page on our website.
About the School
Located in rural Cheshire, our campus has top class, industry standard, teaching facilities but still retains its friendly, supportive atmosphere – a combination which delivers both academic excellenc ... Read More