FdA Fashion with Textiles
Centre: Business, Arts and Technology
Student Type: Adults (19+)Higher Education
This fashion design course is ideal if you wish to develop a career in fashion and textiles, either progressing straight into employment, onto the final year of the Honours Degree in Textile Design at London Metropolitan University or onto an Honours Degree at another university.
London is arguably one of the best places in the world to study fashion. This fashion and textiles course in London equips you with the skills and knowledge you need for a career in this fast-paced industry, including the formulation, production and marketing of your own ideas.
- 6 week mandatory valuable work placement in the fashion industry, gaining employability skills in leading fashion houses such as Alexander McQueen, Gareth Pugh, Burberry and many more
- Learn in studios that are fully-equipped with industrial machinery for a range of activities, including screen printing, pattern cutting, surface textile design, fashion design, digital design (Photoshop and Illustrator) and garment manufacture
- Keep up to date with the latest trends with visits to trade shows, exhibitions and catwalk eventsYou will learn from experienced teaching staff with excellent links with employers and manufacturers.
- With specialist studios for fashion, textiles, print, design, and a fully-equipped Mac suite, you will use industry-standard equipment and software e.g. sewing and knitting machines, heat transfer press, silk screen-printing and digital software including Photoshop and Illustrator.
What you learn
The programme is project, work and studio based, enabling you to explore and interpret themes as source material for the development of designs.
You will develop practical and technical skills ranging from initial design to garment construction.
You will also have the opportunity to gain valuable work experience within the fashion industry as well as taking part in fashion show project work and assignments.
Visits to trade shows, exhibitions and catwalk events are also a key part of the course, enabling you to observe trends and latest collections to enhance your assignments and keep up with this fast-moving industry. Year 1: Fashion and Cultural Context, Design Exploration in Fashion, Techniques and Processes in Textiles, Techniques and Processes in Fashion, Visual Communication, Professional Studies, Advanced Design Exploration in Fashion with Computer Aided Design (CAD), Pattern Cutting with Garment Manufacture Year 2:Work based Learning and Development, Design Research in Textiles, Advanced Pattern Cutting and Garment Manufacture, Research and Development for Fashion Design, Critical Studies, Realising a Fashion Collection, Creative Pattern Cutting and Garment Construction, Specialist Techniques and Processes in Textiles.
Assessment is by module coursework, practical project work, written assignments and though giving presentations throughout the two years. Practical assessments will include your work in your final fashion collection.
You will get a Foundation Degree in Fashion with Textiles.
After completing this course you can progress to either the second or third year of BA (Hons) Textiles Design at London Metropolitan University. An interview will take place to determine which year you can progress to.
Graduates have moved into careers including Design for Women's Wear, PR, Marketing, Pattern Cutting, Styling, Merchandising and setting up and running freelance businesses. Previous students of this course have gone on to work in design houses such as Alexander McQueen, Gareth Pugh and Burberry.
Minimum age of 18 years and 160 UCAS points from one, or a combination of the following:
- 2 A Levels in related subjects at Grade C
- BTEC National or Extended Diploma at MPP
- BTEC Level 3 National Certificate or Diploma at MM
- Access to Higher Education qualification (subject related) at Pass
- A portfolio of relevant work, for example drawings, fashion design, photography and textile samples
- 4 GCSEs at Grade C or above including English
- Maths at Level 1 is required
- Students for which English is a second language are required to pass the IELTS test achieving a minimum of level 6.
Please note, Functional Skills or Key Skills at Level 2 will be accepted in place of GCSE English.
Applicants who do not meet these entry criteria will be considered based on equivalent qualifications, previous experience, a College assessment, applicant interview and a portfolio of relevant work.
Mature students (over 21 years of age on the date of entry) who show evidence of appropriate skills, knowledge and competencies will also be considered. Note: It is expected that mature students will have some work experience and show proficiency in the use of English and Mathematics.
This school offers programs in: