This is a two-year course, designed to provide students with the knowledge & skills to progress to degree level study & thereafter employment in the animation, film & games industries.
Through focused classes & personalized tuition, each student will develop the following
• An awareness of different perspectives and approaches within the media sector.
• Research, analyze and evaluate relevant information and ideas in order to develop creative solutions.
• Understand, adapt and safely use appropriate and practical methods and skills for creative production.
• Critically review the effectiveness and appropriateness of methods, actions, and results.
• Use evaluative and reflective skills in order to take responsibility for own learning, development and decision making.
• Take responsibility for the research, planning, time management and actions to access progression opportunities.
• Effectively present themselves and their work to appropriate audiences.
• Learn the initial principles of HTML coding through classes.
• An awareness of health and safety rules through workshops.
The UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art & Design is quality assured by UAL Awarding Body through a rigorous external moderation process and grades are monitored against agreed national standards. It is also regulated by Ofqual.
What to Expect
This is an intensive year of full-time study that will give you a broad understanding of the many ways you can express yourself through the creative process of animation, film & games design. This will be a challenging and rewarding year, which will provide the bridge between school and university.
In preparing you for this transition your tutors will encourage and support you to become an independent thinker and provide you
with the knowledge, skills, and understanding necessary to access and progress to degree level study or employment in the media sector.
You will complete 8 units of work throughout the year. Unit 8, being the Final Major Project which determines your overall grade for year one This could be Pass, Merit or Distinction.
In your second year, you will be able to decide which area you would like to specialize in: animation, film or games design.
You will spend 3 weeks on each specialist subject area, as well as continuing your studies in the compulsory subjects before selecting one subject area to focus on for the rest of the year.
For your second and third terms, you will gain a deep understanding of the skills involved, and be encouraged to develop your own unique style. During this time you will also develop your portfolio, ready for your university interviews.
Age: 16 years +
Educational Level: A minimum of 4 x GCSE’s at grade C or above, at least one of which should be in a media or art and design subject, or an equivalent overseas qualification.
English Level: IELTS 4.5+ (no element under 4.0) Portfolio not required
Start: September | January
Course Length: 2 years (6 terms)
Progression: Art & Design Degree
Taught Contact Time: Up to 23 hours per week English Language Up to 5 hours per week if required