»ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN STRATEGIES«
LEARN TO OPTIMIZE THE ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE OF BUILDINGS TO DESIGN SUSTAINABLE BUILDINGS FOR THE FUTURE
The building sector is responsible for a large proportion of the world’s consumption of energy and resources, and has a significant environmental impact. Sustainability is becoming increasingly important and architects and planners have a great influence on the environmental performance of a building from the very beginning of the planning process. In a short design phase of several months, they define the environmental impacts a building will have over the next fifty or one hundred years.
This course teaches how to optimize the environmental performance of building design using digital tools and design strategies. The theoretical background will be given in form of short input presentations by different experts. This mini-lectures include cycle-orientated design concepts, cradle to cradle, reuse, energy and resource efficiency, and life cycle assessment. In addition, various tool for environmental performance assessment will be introduced, e.g. eLCA, CAALA, Grasshopper plugins including ArchSim/Diva/Ladybug/Honeybee. These approaches and tools will be directly applied within this course for a small design project.
Small interdisciplinary teams develop their own sustainable design. During the project short presentations to other workshop members will provided the possibility to learn from other groups and their background knowledge. The design will be presented at the end of the summer school and summarized and published in a brochure.
- You know design strategies for sustainable buildings.
- You are able to design buildings for reuse and recycling.
- You are able to optimize the environmental performance of building designs.
The course language is English.
Certificate & Credit Points
After successful completion of this course you will receive a certificate of participation. It will show the course title, the date and duration of the course, the number of contact hours as well as the main contents and topics.
Participants will earn 3 credit points (ECTS).
The course takes place all day from Monday until Friday. It is necessary to attend at least 80% of the course lessons to receive credit points.
The course addresses Master students in the field of architecture, urbanism, civil engineering, construction management or similar.
Please bring a laptop with you.
1. Online Registration
In order to register, please complete our registration form.
Please submit the following documents by 1 May 2017 as one pdf file via email.
- Curriculum vitae: max. two pages
- Letter of motivation: Why did you choose this course? - max. 500 words
- English language certificate: at least level B1 or comparable
Please note the following points:
- All application documents submitted as one pdf document (max. 5 MB)
- Name of pdf document »Environmental_Design_Strategies_family name_first name«
- Email with subject »EApplication Environmental Design Strategies«
ONLY COMPLETE AND CORRECTLY NAMED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED!
3. Selection Process
All applicants will receive admission notification by 15 May 2017 via e-mail and will have to confirm participation within 3 days. If applicants fail to do this, places will be given to others on the waiting list.
After you have confirmed your participation you will receive the invoice for your specialised course until the end of May.
If you need a VISA, we recommend to inform now about the requirements and to make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country.
A maximum of 16 applicants will be selected to participate in this course.
The course fee is 700 EURO.
- 500 EURO for students & alumni
- 300 EURO for BUW students
The course fee includes:
- Orientation & Support
- Programme according to description
- Teaching materials
- Bauhaus Summer School ID card
- Internet access at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- Free use of library
- Accompanying programme (except excursions)
- Free entrance to museums belonging to Klassik Stiftung Weimar
About the School
Each year approximately 400 participants from 70 countries around the world create a unique intercultural atmosphere. Be a part of the experience and make friendships that will last a lifetime!