The English as a Second Language (ESL) program at the University of North Alabama (UNA) provides high quality and comprehensive instruction in English for non-English speakers to pursue academic and professional studies in a challenging, caring, and supportive environment. We are committed to making your English language learning experience the most effective, efficient, and enjoyable.
The curriculum consists of intensive English classes, Capstone courses, the academic bridge class, and TOEFL/GRE/GMAT preparation classes. The curriculum consists of five skill areas, i.e. Speaking, Reading/Vocabulary, Listening, Grammar, and Writing. Students will also have the opportunity to learn American Culture through Cinema, Literature, Debate, and Writing in additional classes as well as engage in service learning projects.
Level of Proficiency:
*UNA ESL does not offer classes at the beginner level. New students are expected to have basic knowledge of English even when beginning the program in level 1 classes.
UNA ESL Program
The program schedule of the UNA intensive English operates in an 8-week sessions and there are 6 sessions during the spring and fall semesters and 4-week sessions in the summer..
Class Schedule: Monday-Friday
- 9:00-9:50 am Speaking
- 10:00-10:50 am Grammar
- 11:00-11:50 am Reading
- 1:00-1:50 pm Listening
- 2:00-2:50 pm Writing
- 3:00-3:50 pm Self Study Computer Lab
Program Admission Cycle:
- Spring: beginning of January
- Mid-Spring: beginning of March
- Summer: beginning of June, July
- Fall: beginning of August
- Mid Fall: beginning of October
Language Partner Program
The after-class program is designed to:
- Help ESL students improve their English conversational skills by practicing with native speakers;
- Give each participant an opportunity to share their culture and learn from each other;
- Better engage international students in campus life
Co-Enrollment in ESL and Academic Classes
ESL program level 4/level 5 students have the opportunity to co-enroll in ESL and academic courses before they complete the ESL Program.
Students who are at ESL level 4/5 and have passed one or more of their ESL classes will be given permission to take one or more academic classes while completing the remaining ESL classes.
The 3 credit hour Bridge Class is the required academic preparatory class for all international students whose native language is not English.
Unique Cultural Programing and Services:
- Cultural Fieldtrips
- American Holiday Home Visit Program
- Weekend Homestay Program
- First Friday Cultural Night
- Institutional TOEFL
- Conditional Academic Admission
- Capstone Curriculum ( offered in mid fall/mid spring)
- Official Application (signed and dated)
- $100 application fee
- Official high school document and notarized English translation:
- Official Affidavit of Support stating student has at least $18,000 US dollars
- Copy of valid passport information page
Friends of International Students Program
The Friends of International Students (FIS) program matches international students, scholars and their accompanying family members with people in the community who are interested in meeting and helping them during their studies. FIS promotes global awareness, understanding, friendship and intercultural learning between the students and members of the community through people to people interactions, exchanging ideas, and expressing mutual admiration and appreciation.
Tuition and Fees
- Tuition Fees (Fall/Spring—16weeks) $6,200
- Fees (Health Services, Student Activity, $1,359 Athletic, Int’l Student Fee, Insurance,
- Semester Total $7,559
- Academic Year Total $ 15,118
- Five Skills: Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing, & Grammar
- Five Levels: Beginner, Low Intermediate, Intermediate, High Intermediate, & Advanced
- Five Start Dates: January, March, June, August, & October
- 25 Hours/Week: 9:00AM to 2:50PM, Monday through Friday
- Conditional Admissions: Undergraduate & Post Graduate
- Total Estimates: $6,000 Per 8-Week Term (tuition & fees, room and board, and health insurance.)
- Pre-MBA & Pre-Professional Studies
- IELTS and GRE Preparation
- On-Campus Housing and Dining
- Easy Connecting Flights from Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas...
- Free Airport Pickup
Learn English in Action at UNA!
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 29, 2017