About Bay State College
Bay State College is a career-focused institution located in the heart of Boston, the biggest college town in America. Our mission is to prepare students for successful careers and global citizenship through academic rigor and individualized support.
Online ESL Program
About the Program
Bay State College’s ESL program provides a flexible, online platform for students who wish to learn English at their own pace and on their own time. The program is designed to strengthen English proficiency for students who wish to enroll at a college or university, as well as for those who are looking to enhance career or professional opportunities.
- Our fully-online program allows individuals to learn English on their own time.
- The self-paced model means students can go as quickly or as slowly as they prefer through each section.
- Assessments before and during the program ensure accurate placement and progression through each stage.
- Support services and tutoring are available from Bay State College’s faculty and advisors.
Designed for Learners at any Stage
The online ESL program at Bay State College is designed for students at any stage of proficiency, from beginner to intermediate levels. An online assessment is given prior to enrollment in the program and the results are used to place students into the appropriate level of the course.
The program is comprised of two main courses, each of which is broken down into smaller, manageable sections:
- Foundations: The Foundations course is designed for beginning English language learners to improve their proficiency with a wide range of listening, reading, speaking, and writing activities.
- Essentials: The Essentials course is designed for students aiming to move from a low-intermediate level to an advanced-intermediate level of proficiency. The course has extensive material for the student to master his or her reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills and become an effective communicator using English.
Learn English on your Time
The fully-online format of Bay State College’s ESL program allows students to practice and learn on their own time. This flexible model is ideal for individuals who have other commitments such as work, family, or school.
Each module or section is structured with easy-to-follow activities, assignments, and exams that can be completed at each individual’s own pace. Students can go as quickly or as slowly as they wish through each level, ensuring a level of comfort and confidence with the skills gained before progressing to the next step. Assessments are conducted at each major milestone in the course to ensure students are at an appropriate level to move on to the next course.
Duration and Price
- Start Dates: 6 intakes per year. Upcoming start dates: May 20, 2019; July 8, 2019; September 2, 2019; October 28, 2019.
- Duration: The program is self-paced; however, each course (Foundations and Essentials) is designed to be completed in 16 weeks. Students can take longer than 16 weeks to complete a course, at an additional cost. The entire program, which consists of both the Foundations and Essentials courses, is designed to be completed in 32 weeks.
- Cost: $1000 per 16-week course plus applicable fees. Additional fees apply for students who take longer than 16 weeks to complete each course.
Language Immersion Program
About the Program
Bay State College’s Language Immersion Program provides an in-person, hands-on approach for students who have either successfully completed the online ESL program or who have demonstrated the required proficiency level for participation. Students enrolled in this program will study at the Bay State College campus in downtown Boston while living in the College’s residence halls. This program is primarily designed for students who seek a pathway to college admission.
- Live and learn in the middle of downtown Boston, home to 250,000 college students each year.
- Experience a traditional collegiate environment by living in our residence halls with domestic and international students.
- Assessments are provided before and during the program to ensure accurate placement and progression through the program.
- Small class sizes ensure individualized support during language instruction.
- Access support services and tutoring from Bay State College’s faculty and advisors.
- Conditional acceptance to Bay State College may be available to those who qualify.
Intensive Language Instruction with Individualized Support
Students enrolled in Bay State College’s Immersion Program will receive 25-30 hours per week of directed language instruction. Our experienced instructors can provide individualized support thanks to small class sizes and low student-to-faculty ratios. Language instruction is divided into two 8-week courses:
- Intermediate English
- Upper Intermediate English
Upon successful completion of the Upper Intermediate course, students will be prepared to take an English proficiency examination for college admission. Students who achieve the required proficiency level, in combination with all other academic requirements, will be eligible to enroll in a degree program at Bay State College in the next academic term.
Immerse yourself in all that Boston Has to Offer
Bay State’s Immersion Program combines intensive language instruction with a variety of cultural exchange and social activities to provide a holistic approach to language learning. And there’s no better place to experience what life as a college student is like than in the middle of downtown Boston!
Living on campus provides students with traditional college experience, as well as an opportunity to practice their language skills around the clock with other students. Our residence halls are in the heart of Boston’s Fenway neighborhood, surrounded by countless restaurants, cafés, and entertainment venues as well as Fenway Park, home of the World Series Champion Boston Red Sox!
Students will have the chance to explore Boston and the greater New England area in their free time and on guided excursions, all while practicing their English language skills. Our campus is steps away from the Boston Common, Public Gardens, and Boston Public Library. Enjoy taking field trips to the Museum of Science, the Museum of Fine Arts and the New England Aquarium, exploring Boston’s famed Faneuil Hall Marketplace and Quincy Market, and tasting delicious treats in the North End (Boston’s “Little Italy”).
Duration and Price
- Start Dates: 3 intakes per year. Upcoming start dates: May 20, 2019; September 2, 2019
- Duration: The program consists of two 8-week courses, Intermediate English and Upper Intermediate English, for a total of one 16-week semester. Students at a higher proficiency level may be eligible to place directly into the Upper Intermediate English course, cutting the length of the program in half to 8 weeks.
- Tuition & Fees: $6800 per 16-week semester (Intermediate and Upper Intermediate courses); prorated rate of $3400 for students who place directly into Upper Intermediate English. Applicable fees apply to all students.
- Room & Board (prorated rates available for students who place directly into Upper Intermediate English):
- Fall and Spring Semesters: $6650 per semester with meals (multiple occupancy room); $8150 per semester with meals (single occupancy room).
- Summer Semester: $5000 per semester without meals (multiple occupancy room); $6500 per semester without meals (single occupancy room).
Program taught in: