The Engineering Business and Safety Management Graduate Certificate Program is a unique program developed for international students with an engineering degree (e.g. civil, mechanical, industrial, and others). It will enhance their knowledge and skills in the specialized area of engineering business and safety management.
The program is designed to enable students to meet the demand in the engineering, industrial and construction sectors for staff with expertise in the areas of project management, occupational health and safety management, human resources, and contract and cost management. The 15-week work placement in the fourth semester will provide hands-on work experience in Canada to strengthen students’ engineering management skills and increase their employability.
The Engineering Business and Safety Management program is a college Board of Governors approved program; it has also received program validation by the provincial Credentials Validation Service (Ontario College Quality Assurance Service).
The program has four main features:
- The Engineering Business and Safety Management program builds on the students’ existing engineering training with a focus on the business and safety aspects of engineering in Canada. The program will introduce students to Canadian engineering principles and techniques of quality control and quality assurance. The program will provide instruction on the legal and ethical aspects of their profession in Canada.
- The program will introduce internationally trained engineering graduates to Canadian occupational health and safety standards and practices. There will be a focus on health and safety standards and processes on construction and industrial job sites, and how they can be managed to ensure the safe operation of these sites.
- The program will develop the students’ project, cost and contract management skills by exploring a variety of project management strategies, tools and related techniques to determine the viability of a project and ensure its success.
- The program will offer a variety of international business and human resources management courses to build a skillset that is of unique value across multiple sectors in the economy. The program will expose students to the essential components of marketing, human resources planning and negotiation.
Domestic (Canadian) students may also apply to this program. However, domestic students should be aware that it is offered on a full-tuition, cost recovery basis, and additional tuition fees apply. For more information please contact our Admissions Department or phone (807) 475-6213
International students wishing to apply for this program may use the online application or contact our International Education Centre for more information.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be proficient in the following:
- Collaborate with others in the development, implementation and evaluation of organizational health and safety policies and practices.
- Manage the implementation and evaluation of team projects by applying project management principles.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate organizational development strategies aimed at promoting organizational effectiveness.
- Recommend strategies to support principles of corporate sustainability, corporate social responsibility and ethics associated with an organization’s integrative trade* initiatives and evaluate their effectiveness.
- Develop and implement strategies to negotiate effectively within various cultural environments and to address the impact of cultural differences on an organization’s integrative trade initiatives.
- Comply with current health and safety legislation, as well as organizational practices and procedures.
- Schedule and coordinate civil engineering projects and monitor the quality and quantity of work.
- Monitor and encourage compliance with current health and safety legislation to prevent occupational accidents and provide a safe working environment.
- Collaborate in implementing and monitoring effective cost and risk management of team projects.
- Contribute to make-or-buy analyses to support outsourcing decisions.
- Assist in the assessment of the political, social, and environmental impacts of civil engineering projects.
Graduates will work independently and collaboratively, applying technical health and safety practices, project management techniques, and broader business skills across multiple sectors in the economy. During their 15 week work placement and after graduation, students may find themselves working in one of these positions:
- Jobsite coordinator
- Project coordinator
- Jobsite health and safety advisor
- Industrial and construction health and safety officer
- Construction estimator
- Engineering design and drafting work - under the direction of an engineer
- Engineering business operations assistant - for ongoing operations & maintenance projects
- Business operations assistant - to smaller firms with the operations of their business
This school offers programs in:
Cost & Fees
Tuition Fees and Other Costs
Tuition fees are $11,368 per annum, plus ancillary fees of $2,567, for a total of $13,935 per annum (for '15/'16).
Additional International Student fees
For additional details regarding international student tuition fees, visit the International Education website.
Degree or diploma from an accredited university or college in an engineering field such as civil, mechanical, or industrial engineering, or a community college graduate with a diploma in the field of engineering.
International Applicants only:
International Applicants must have an existing Degree/Diploma from an accredited university or college (first or second class standing) in an engineering field such as civil, mechanical, or industrial engineering.
Applicants whose first language is not English, must provide proof of English proficiency according to the following standards:
- a TOEFL iBT score of 88, or
- an IELTS score of 6.5, with no band lower than 5.5.