The University Center (www.universityprep.com) is an intensive, comprehensive ESL and university preparatory boarding school. We help international students prepare for English language and academic success at great American universities.
The Value of University Prep for International Students
Why should international students spend 4 or 8 months in a university preparatory program at The University Center? Our university prep program increases academic and cultural competency, saves time and money, enhances admissions qualifications, and prepares students to get more out of their US university experience.
According to the latest statistics from IPEDS (to which all American universities must report), over 50% of international students studying in the USA take longer than necessary to complete their bachelor’s degrees. (Many "pathway” students are probably taking longer, based on preliminary evidence, but universities are not required to report these graduation rates.)
A bachelor’s degree in the USA should take 4 years to complete. Most international students are taking 5 or 6 years. Why? Experts say it’s because of poor preparation, advising and planning.
And in the USA, just one extra year can cost over $60,000.
At the University Center, Students Receive
- Comprehensive preparation (intensive English language instruction with a 24/7 cultural immersion learning experience);
- Personal advising (in university selection, application, and academic degree focus); and
- Strategic planning (including early college course credit)
So that they earn their bachelor’s degrees in 4 years or less.
The University Prep Academic Accelerator
Advanced level students may begin earning college credit toward their bachelor's degrees while they are still enrolled at The University Center through our Academic Accelerator program.
The College Application Process
There are over 4,000 colleges and universities in the USA, with hundreds of programs/majors of study. The University Center is designed to help international students navigate through this vast system, discover the emerging career and academic paths that interest them, showcase their accomplishments, find the schools that are the “best fit” for them, and walk them through the process of applying to those schools.
We do this with expert advisors, as well as experienced university partners, who:
- Regularly advise students in one-on-one and small group sessions
- Provide insights into emerging academic and career paths
- Help students explore their academic interests, as well as their school preferences (big or small university; urban or rural location; etc.)
- Inform students of schools that fit their interests and preferences
- Provide tours of university campuses in the Northeast
- Lead workshops on writing the college application essay and practicing for an oral interview
- Introduce students to university admissions directors and faculty from partner schools
- Assist students in completing applications for their top school choices
TUC has a University Consortium of partner schools – mostly from Connecticut and New England – who come to campus and help our students with this process. Some of these universities even offer “Conditional Letters of Admission” for students who meet their academic requirements but do not yet meet their English or SAT requirements.
The University Center helps students raise their college admissions qualifications, select and get into great universities in the USA.
* single rooms available on a limited basis; weekend & some day trips are not included in the Program Fee; all program fees are subject to change.