Vocation English courses are front-loaded studies in which the student completes courses prior to the career-oriented vocational programs at this College. Vocational English courses focus on the development of the communication and job search skills necessary for employment in the healthcare field in the United States. Topics include health professions in the United States, career pathways, communication with patients and co-workers, health care systems, current critical health issues, and intercultural communication skills.
The participant will practice the skills of speaking, listening, reading, and writing. We will use activities based on day-to-day healthcare situations, readings related to health care and cases studies from different health professions. The communicative approach of the courses is based on an individual pair, and group task and projects. Each class session will include problem-solving and critical thinking activities in which you will work both individually and collaborate with classmates.
Vocational English is a 40-week study made up of several courses in English for health professionals.
The participant will make progress toward the overall goal of Vocational English. At the end of the 40-week study, the participant will have improved communications skills in English based on ones increased ability to
- Use strategies and skills for pursuing career goals in health care and making informed career choices.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with patients and families in healthcare settings.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with other health care professional in healthcare settings.
- Understand systems, requirements, and issues in health care in the United States and California.
- Understand how cross-culture beliefs, traditions, and behaviors impact everyday communication in health care.
- Use strategies and skills for exploring your own ongoing professional development beyond the current program.
High School/College/University Diploma or Transcript.
ATI College is authorized under Federal law to admin non-immigrant alien students.
Classes are offered at the Los Angeles or Norwalk Campus.
Program Length: 40 weeks.
Day Classes: 8:30 am to 3:00 pm Monday through Friday.
Evening Classes: 5:30 pm to 10:30 pm Monday through Thursday.
Start Dates 2018-2019
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 25, 2018