What to expect
Your placement test will be administered during Orientation to determine your proficiency level. You will be placed in one of the 3 levels of English offered based on the results: Intermediate, High Intermediate, and Advanced. The class size is approximately 15 students. We hold our classes on the Main Campus in the morning and afternoon.
The Intensive English Program offers a unique educational experience:
- A world-class, expert faculty, with Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- A rigorous academic program, with clear learning objectives to reach each level
- A unique dedication from faculty and staff to help you succeed academically
- Access to all services available within the University of Texas at San Antonio
The Intensive English Program is for those who want to:
- Fulfill a personal dream of pursuing a degree from a U.S. college or university
- Achieve professional success in the U.S. or abroad
- Gain a significant improvement in your English language proficiency while enjoying a beautiful stay in San Antonio, TX
- Deadline for International Applicant: August 1, 2019 (contact firstname.lastname@example.org if an extension is needed)
- Orientation Week: August 19-23, 2019
- First day of class: August 26, 2019
- Final day to register: September 11, 2019
- Last day of class: December 6, 2019
- Deadline for International Applicant: December 15, 2019 (contact email@example.com if an extension is needed)
- Orientation Week: January 13-January 17, 2020
- First day of class: January 21, 2020
- Final day to register: February 5, 2020
- Last day of class: May 8, 2020
- Deadline for International Applicant: May 1, 2020 (contact firstname.lastname@example.org if an extension is needed)
- Orientation Week: May 21-25, 2020
- First day of class: May 26, 2020
- Final day to register: June 10, 2020
- Last day of class: August 7, 2020
Hear what other students have to say about the program
Instruction focuses on these areas
Reading / Vocabulary
- You will learn the definitions and contextual uses of many different words. Some may sound very similar but have small differences in their spellings and pronunciations.
Writing / Grammar
- You will learn to apply a wide array of advanced vocabulary to writing assignments.
- You will learn how to speak the English language fluently with ease. There are many nuances to the English language that are not easily understood by just reading a textbook.
- (Test of English as a Foreign) We will test the skills you have obtained over the course of this ESL program.
Requirements for the IEP
- Must be 17 years old and a High School graduate or equivalent by the first day of class.
- Must submit a photocopy of current passport and visa (if applicable).
- Must submit a bank statement showing that you have at least $12,498.00 to pay educational expenses.
Approximate cost per semester
(prices are subject to change)
Tuition and Fees
- Tuition: $4,000
- Application Fee: $60
- Testing: $100
- University Fees: $513
- Total: $4673
Other Mandatory Expenses
- Heath Insurance Fall 2019 $1,125
- Books: $300.00
- One year (Summer, Fall, Spring): $9,200.00
- One Semester (Fall or Spring): $3,500.00
- Summer: $2,200.00
- One Semester (Fall, or Spring): $1,900.00
- Summer: $1,300.00
- Personal Expenses: $1,000.00
*Please note that students who enroll in the Spring semesters will automatically be charged health insurance for Spring and Summer
Orientation week at UTSA
- Attend New International Student Orientation
- Take Placement Test
- Attend New International Student Welcome Party to meet other UTSA international students
- Pick up your UTSA Student ID card at UTSA Card Office
- Pay tuition and fees at UTSA Fiscal Services
- Meet Faculty and Staff of The Intensive English Program
Our social media
Facebook | Instagram
Please visit esl.utsa.edu for more information