What to expect
Your placement test will be administered during Orientation to determine your proficiency level. The class size is approximately 15 students. We hold our classes on the Main Campus in the morning and afternoon.
The Intensive English Program offers a unique educational experience:
- A world-class, expert faculty, with Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language
- A rigorous academic program, with clear learning objectives to reach each level
- A unique dedication from faculty and staff to help you succeed academically
- Access to all services available within the University of Texas at San Antonio
The Intensive English Program is for those who want to:
- Fulfill a personal dream of pursuing a degree from a U.S. college or university
- Achieve professional success in the U.S. or abroad
- Gain a significant improvement in your English language proficiency while enjoying a beautiful stay in San Antonio, TX
- Deadline for International Applicant: December 15, 2019 (contact email@example.com if an extension is needed)
- Orientation Week: January 13-January 17, 2020
- First day of class: January 21, 2020
- Final day to register: February 5, 2020
- Last day of class: May 8, 2020
- Deadline for International Applicant: May 1, 2020 (contact firstname.lastname@example.org if an extension is needed)
- Orientation Week: May 21-25, 2020
- First day of class: May 26, 2020
- Final day to register: June 10, 2020
- Last day of class: August 7, 2020
Hear what other students have to say about the program
Instruction focuses on these areas
Reading / Vocabulary
- You will learn the definitions and contextual uses of many different words. Some may sound very similar but have small differences in their spellings and pronunciations.
Writing / Grammar
- You will learn to apply a wide array of advanced vocabulary to writing assignments.
- You will learn how to speak the English language fluently with ease. There are many nuances to the English language that are not easily understood by just reading a textbook.
- (Test of English as a Foreign) We will test the skills you have obtained over the course of this ESL program.
Students enrolled in our program have the option to register for electives such as American Culture class and the Accent Modification class.
Requirements for the IEP
- Must be 17 years old and a High School graduate or equivalent by the first day of class.
- Must submit a photocopy of current passport and visa (if applicable).
- Must submit a bank statement showing that you have at least $13,282 USD to pay educational expenses.
Approximate cost per semester
(prices are subject to change)
Tuition and Fees
- Tuition: $4,000
- Application Fee: $60
- Testing: $100
- University Fees: $513
- Total: $4673
Other Mandatory Expenses
- Heath Insurance Fall 2019 $1,125
- Books: $300.00
- One year (Summer, Fall, Spring): $9,200.00
- One Semester (Fall or Spring): $3,500.00
- Summer: $2,200.00
- One Semester (Fall, or Spring): $1,900.00
- Summer: $1,300.00
- Personal Expenses: $1,000.00
*Please note that students who enroll in the Spring semesters will automatically be charged health insurance for Spring and Summer
Orientation week at UTSA
- Attend New International Student Orientation
- Take Placement Test
- Attend New International Student Welcome Party to meet other UTSA international students
- Pick up your UTSA Student ID card at UTSA Card Office
- Pay tuition and fees at UTSA Fiscal Services
- Meet Faculty and Staff of The Intensive English Program
Our social media
Please visit esl.utsa.edu for more information
About the School
The University of Texas at San Antonio is a multicultural discovery enterprise institution with more than 32,000 students. It is the largest university in the San Antonio metropolitan region.