Is English not your first language? Are you interested in improving your English skills? Then, HFC's English Language Institute (ELI) is for you. The ELI offers instruction in American English language and culture. Our intensive English program prepares you for success in college-level courses, employment that requires written and oral proficiency in English, and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam.
We offer day and evening classes in English writing, grammar, reading, speaking, listening and study skills. We also offer classes in advanced grammar, pronunciation/conversation and TOEFL preparation. You can develop your English through small and large group interactions.
High quality, affordable English Language classes
You can take English Language classes during the day, the evening, or on Saturday. Classes are offered in reading, speaking, listening, writing, grammar, study skills, American Culture, and TOEFL prep. Our Intensive English Program prepares you to take college-level courses, to hold a job where you will write and speak English, and to pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. You will develop your English skills through small and large group interactions. Our friendly, caring instructors will help you meet your goals.
The ELI program is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs.
Convenient Class Schedule
- Classes are offered all year
- Day, evening, and Saturday classes are available
- Some classes are offered partially online
The Mission of the English Language Institute at Henry Ford College is to foster a cooperative learning environment that supports English Language Learners as they strive to reach their academic, personal, and professional language goals in a culturally diverse and internationally-based community.
- Provide high-quality and affordable language instruction to English Language Learners (ELLs)
- Provide opportunities to develop language through small group and large-group interactions
- Provide opportunities to use language to inform, persuade, explain, or entertain others
- Develop proficient language skills that support a logical and sequential expression of ideas through clear speech
- Encourage ELLs to adjust their reading, writing, and language skills to suit particular purposes, audiences, and situations
- Introduce subject-specific vocabulary through speaking, reading, and writing activities
- Extend and support using American English conventions correctly
- Create an atmosphere promoting familiarity with American cultural norms
- Demonstrate the connection between spoken and written language
- Interpret, summarize, and evaluate a range of texts through structured activities
- Create an atmosphere supporting critical thinking
- Establish a language-rich environment presenting text in natural and meaningful contexts
- Provide ELLs the necessary language skills to continue their academic studies
About the School
Henry Ford College (HFC) is a public two-year college located in Dearborn, Michigan. The College, established in 1938, is accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the Michig ... Read More