If you want to become more fluent in English, learn about American culture, or improve your TOEFL score, HFC's English Language Institute (ELI) can help you.
High quality, affordable English Language classes
You can take English Language classes during the day, the evening, or on Saturday. Classes are offered in reading, speaking, listening, writing, grammar, study skills, American Culture, and TOEFL prep. Our Intensive English Program prepares you to take college-level courses, to hold a job where you will write and speak English, and to pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. You will develop your English skills through small and large group interactions. Our friendly, caring instructors will help you meet your goals. For additional help, contact the ELI.
Convenient Class Schedule
- Classes are offered all year
- Day, evening, and Saturday classes are available
- Some classes are offered partially online
You may take English Language Learner (ELL/ESL) classes in reading, speaking, listening, writing, grammar, study skills, American Culture, and TOEFL prep. See our ELI class guide for information on which classes to take.
Our ELI program provides high-quality, low-cost English language instruction to English Language Learners (ELLs). The ELI program is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs.
The Mission of the English Language Institute at Henry Ford College is to foster a cooperative learning environment that supports English Language Learners as they strive to reach their academic, personal, and professional language goals in a culturally diverse and internationally-based community.
- Provide high-quality and affordable language instruction to English Language Learners (ELLs)
- Provide opportunities to develop language through small group and large-group interactions
- Provide opportunities to use language to inform, persuade, explain, or entertain others
- Develop proficient language skills that support a logical and sequential expression of ideas through clear speech
- Encourage ELLs to adjust their reading, writing, and language skills to suit particular purposes, audiences, and situations
- Introduce subject-specific vocabulary through speaking, reading, and writing activities
- Extend and support using American English conventions correctly
- Create an atmosphere promoting familiarity with American cultural norms
- Demonstrate the connection between spoken and written language
- Interpret, summarize, and evaluate a range of texts through structured activities
- Create an atmosphere supporting critical thinking
- Establish a language-rich environment presenting text in natural and meaningful contexts
- Provide ELLs the necessary language skills to continue their academic studies
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 12, 2018