This qualification reflects the role of early childhood educators who are responsible for designing and implementing curriculum in early childhood education and care services. In doing so they work to implement an approved learning framework within the requirements of the Education and Care Services National Regulations and the National Quality Standard.
They may have responsibility for supervision of volunteers or other staff.
To ensure an appropriate learning opportunity, learners would need to demonstrate a capacity to undertake study at Diploma level; this can be demonstrated via the following:
- Successful completion of Year 12 or the equivalent level of study or mature aged entry. For further information, see PP02 ASSESSING STUDENT'S QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND ENGLISH PROFICIENCY.
- Minimum English level of IELTS 5.5. Learners originating from student visa assessment levels 1 and 2 without the required IELTS score can undertake SCEI’s English Proficiency Test. For information on student visa assessment levels, refer to Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
Learners must also be aged 18 or above.
Candidates must undertake National Police check and Working with Children Check before commencing work placement.
There are no pre-requisites for this qualification.
- Authorised supervisor (children’s services)
- Children’s services coordinator
- Centre manager (children’s services)
- Director (children’s services)
- Childhood educator
- Group/team coordinator/leader (children’s services)
- Children’s adviser
- Program leader (children’s services)
- Children’s service director/manager
- Child development worker
- Early childhood educator
Teaching Methods/Mode of Study
Classroom and self-directed learning, as well as work placement.
Students will be assessed through Written Assessment, Research and Workplace throughout the course.
Credit transfer is a term used to identify a process of gaining recognition gained through a previous course or a unit of study. To be eligible for credit transfer the unit code of the unit already held needs to be exactly the same as the unit for which credit is being requested. A certified copy of an Academic Transcript would need to be supplied by the student.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Recognition of prior learning provides students with an opportunity to have their current skills and knowledge recognised.These skills and knowledge may relate to units they intend to study and as a result may exempt them from studying these units. However there is a cost related to RPL.The process requires students to gather evidence confirming their skills and knowledge and submitting to an assessor for assessment.
If a student is granted RPL or credit transfer, it may impact on student visa conditions through a shortening of the student’s course.
- CHCCS400C: Work within a relevant legal and ethical framework
- CHCECE001: Develop cultural competence
- CHCECE002: Ensure the health and safety of children
- CHCECE003: Provide care for children
- CHCECE004: Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
- CHCECE005: Provide care for babies and toddlers
- CHCECE007: Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
- CHCECE009: Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
- CHCECE016: Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children
- CHCECE017: Foster the holistic development and well-being of the child in early childhood
- CHCECE018: Nurture creativity in children
- CHCECE019: Facilitate compliance in an education and care services
- CHCECE020: Establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour
- CHCECE021: Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children
- CHCECE022: Promote children’s agency
- CHCECE023: Analyse information to inform learning
- CHCECE024: Design and implement the curriculum to foster children's learning and development
- CHCECE025: Embed sustainable practices in service operations
- CHCECE026: Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children
- CHCPRT001: Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- HLTAID004: Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
- HLTHIR404D: Work effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- HLTWHS003: Maintain work health and safety
- CHCORG506E: Coordinate the work environment
- HLTHIR403C: Work effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers
- CHCECE010: Support the holistic development of children in early childhood
- CHCECE011: Provide experiences to support children’s play and learning
- CHCECE013: Use information about children to inform practice
Delivery modes include classroom/facilitator lead training sessions, self-paced learning activities, written assessments and a component of work placement.
- Course Price: AUD$20,000
- Promotional Course Price: AUD$15,000
- Material Fee: AUD$200
‘The student tuition fees are indicative only and subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Additional fees may apply such as student services and amenity fees’.
About the School
Southern Cross Education Institute is proud to offer our students the best opportunities available in ensuring all receive the ultimate experience in gaining the qualification they are looking for.