Your career in commerce
A Diploma of Commerce equips students with the communication, problem-solving and management skills required to succeed in a global environment and build a career in business anywhere in the world.
What you will learn in this programme
This general introduction to business studies covers the fundamentals of management, accounting and marketing, and equips graduates with communications and management skills in demand by industry.
Be RMIT Proud! Join this dynamic programme to ‘kick-start’ your exciting journey from student to qualified business leader.
RMIT creates a wonderful experience which includes:
- a full year of study equivalent to the first year of an RMIT Bachelor of Business Programme.
- caring, understanding and industry trained teachers who will personally support and guide you to on this journey to your global career destination.
- unique academic and industry learning experiences specifically designed to inspire.
- a friendly and social environment led by staff who understand the challenges faced by international students and who can enhance your motivation and keep you focused on your dream goals and visions.
Come join the RMIT family.
This programme is available to international students only.
How you will learn
Most of your classes will be held in RMIT's Swanston Academic Building which features innovative learning spaces interspersed with retail and social spaces resulting in a stimulating environment for students.
RMIT offers a variety of learning and teaching approaches including lectures, seminars, workshops, presentations, group discussions and project work.
Through RMIT University’s online learning portal, myRMIT, you will be able to view online resources and learning activities created by lecturers, access course materials via Blackboard, collaborate with lecturers and fellow students, and access your student email account
Educational software, the Learning Hub, resources and printers are accessible on campus via the RMIT wireless network using your own laptop, tablet or smartphone or via computer facilities on-campus. You will be able to access the same software from home using myDesktop.
Ongoing assessment throughout the semester includes examinations, essays, reports, oral presentations, group projects, research projects and practical assignments.
As part of the programme, you will have the chance to apply and refine a range of professional skills in a workplace or in a simulated business environment.
- demonstrate your professional or vocational skills by completing an activity in a work context or situation; and
- interact with industry and the community when you undertake this activity and benefit from their feedback.
Guiding the development of the College of Business, both nationally and internationally, is an Industry Advisory Board of high-profile executives chaired by Gerhard Vorster, Chief Strategy Officer, Deloitte. The Board creates a strategic bridge between the latest in technology and design thinking and business.
RMIT University is committed to providing you with an education that strongly links formal learning with professional or vocational practice.
Electives and programme structure
The diploma comprises eight business core courses, providing a sound basis for further study and specialisation.
These courses are in the areas of accounting, business computing, business statistics, commercial law, macroeconomics, management, marketing and microeconomics.
Graduates can pursue careers in the private and public sectors, small and large enterprises and across the full range of industries.
Graduates of the Diploma of Commerce are encouraged to progress to further studies in business or a related area to further enhance career opportunities.
You must have successfully completed an Australian Year 12 or an equivalent senior secondary school qualification with a minimum average of 50% (check calculator below).
Equivalent qualifications may also include completion of the RMIT Foundation Studies programme or a recognised post-secondary diploma in the relevant discipline with the required grades.
Meeting the minimum academic requirements does not guarantee entry. Your application will still need to be assessed and accepted.
English language requirements
To study this programme you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- IELTS (Academic): a minimum overall band of 5.5 (with no individual band below 5.0)
- TOEFL (Paper Based Test): minimum score of 530 (TWE 3.5)
- TOEFL (Internet Based Test - IBT): minimum overall score of 71 (with a minimum of 17 in all sections)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE (A)): minimum score of 42 (with no communication band less than 36)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): minimum of 162 with no less than 154 in any component.
You can gain entry into the Diploma of Commerce from RMIT Foundation Studies.
When you successfully complete the Diploma of Commerce you are guaranteed entry into a range of other RMIT programmes. The grades you achieve determine the programmes you can get into and the amount of credit you will receive.
You will receive 2 semesters of advanced standing (equivalent to 96 credit points) in the Associate Degree in Business.
You will receive 2 semesters of advanced standing (equivalent to 96 credit points) in the following programmes:
- Bachelor of Business (Accountancy)
- Bachelor of Business (Economics and Finance)
- Bachelor of Business (Entrepreneurship)
- Bachelor of Business (Financial Planning)
- Bachelor of Business (Human Resource Management)
- Bachelor of Business (Information Systems)
- Bachelor of Business (International Business)
- Bachelor of Business (Logistics and Supply Chain Management)
- Bachelor of Business (Management)
- Bachelor of Business (Marketing)
If you achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0, you will receive 2 semesters of advanced standing (equivalent to 96 credit points) in the following programmes:
- Bachelor of Business (Economics and Finance) (Applied)
- Bachelor of Business (Information Systems) (Applied)
- Bachelor of Business (International Business) (Applied)
- Bachelor of Business (Financial Planning) / Bachelor of Business (Accountancy)
- Bachelor of Business (Logistics and Supply Chain Management) (Applied)
- Bachelor of Business (Marketing) (Applied)
- Bachelor of Business (Professional Accountancy
You may be eligible for entry into other RMIT undergraduate programmes.
The total indicative tuition fee for 2018 commencement is AU$25,920.