Bring Games to Life
Programmers have the technological know-how to turn a game designer’s concepts and visions in fruition with computer code. Using industry-driven programming tools, students enhance the techniques they already have and develop the ones needed to spark imaginations and launch a creative and in-demand career in a field they love.
The Visual & Game Programming diploma program is an intense hands-on program with a focus on technical programming skills for video games. While the emphasis is on object oriented programming, students also study mathematics, scripting, game design, and algorithm development. In addition to core programming skills, the curriculum introduces students to a number of programming topics including graphics, physics, gameplay and tools development.
This program consists of 90 credits over 6 quarters.
- Applied Mathematics
- Procedural Programming in C I
- Introduction to Computer Systems
- History of Games
- Game Design I
- Geometry and Linear Algebra
- Procedural Programming in C II
- Object-Oriented Programming in C++ I
- Digital Imaging
- Physics of Motion, Light and Sound
- Software Development and Testing
- Object-Oriented Programming in C++ II
- Programming for Game Engines
- UML and Technical Documentation
- Algorithms and Data Patterns I
- Portfolio I
- Preproduction and Project Management
- 2D Games Programming
- Algorithms and Data Patterns II
- 3D Graphics and Applications
- Production Team I
- Game Tools and Pipelines
- Gameplay Programming
- Portfolio II
- Production Team II
The program’s objective is to provide students with the essential programming, mathematics, problem solving, and design skills required of a video game programmer. Graduates possess a blend of theoretical knowledge and practical experience that equips them to seek entry-level employment.
Programmers account for a significant proportion of employees at video game studios. There are also many sub-specialties within game programming, including graphics programming, network programming and AI programming.
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- Prepares students to work in gaming, film, TV and beyond
- Program consists of 90 credits over six quarters
- Hands-on training from industry experts
- Build a portfolio to showcase work
- Innovative instruction in a state-of-the-art environment
- Graduating students receive a Diploma
- To take the design specifications of the game designers, integrating the art and sound, and translating it all into a playable game.
- To map the terrain of the game environment, implement artificial intelligence for non-player characters and player input via the controller to the events happening onscreen.
- Concepts from foundation level design courses: video game design principles and terminology, research, critical analysis, prototyping, as well as scripting and art.
- Technical knowledge of scripting, design tools and software in accordance with current industry standards.
- Practical understanding and application of all aspects of game design.
- Professionalism through the process of conceptualizing, planning, executing and delivering quality design projects.
- Ability to work on team-based game development projects.
Who Should Apply?
Students directly out of high school, or mature students who are ready for a career change or to build on the skills they have.
- Computer enthusiast with a strong focus in programming, math, physics and design
- Interested in technology
- Eager to learn new skills related to programming and design
- Computer savvy and familiar with various programs
- Those who value merging creative endeavours with practical applications for an exciting career