Make Music Your Business
If your goal is to use your talent, training and the latest tools to create the music and sound that informs, entertains and inspires, the Professional Recording Arts Diploma program is the perfect place to hit the play button on an exciting career. In this innovative program, students gain cutting-edge credentials with a curriculum that balances theory with hands-on experience in the recording studio.
Through rigorous study of theoretical concepts, industry practices, and hands-on production techniques, students work to develop the technical skills and aesthetic sensibilities needed to become professional engineers, technicians, producers and business people. Students have the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of acoustics, audio engineering principles, digital audio editing, analog and digital audio mixing, music theory, keyboarding, and practical audio electronics among other skills.
This program consists of 90 credits over 6 quarters.
The diploma in Professional Recording Arts is a six-quarter, course of study that is designed to prepare students with the essential skills and knowledge necessary to seek entry-level employment in the field of audio. LaSalle College Vancouver’s Professional Recording Arts program is designed to prepare graduates to seek entry-level employment in the field of audio engineering and production, music recording, live sound, television, home studio, radio, studio management, corporate AV, game audio, technical support, and others.
- Fundamentals of Audio
- Digital Audio and Control Systems
- Audio Technology I
- Audio Recording I
- Audio Recording II
- Digital Music Technology I
- Digital Music Technology II
- Digital Audio I
- Digital Audio II
- Music Theory I
- Music Theory II
- Audio Electronics
- Advanced Recording Techniques I
- Advanced Recording Techniques II
- Practical Audio Electronics
- Synthesis & Sound Design I
- Synthesis & Sound Design II
- Digital Audio III
- Digital Audio IV
- Live Sound Reinforcement
- Business Fundamentals
- Professional Development and Portfolio
- Senior Project
- Recording Arts Elective 1
- Recording Arts Elective 2
- Recording Arts Elective 3
- Recording Arts Elective 4
- Recording Arts Elective 5
Graduates go on to work as an audio or sound engineer, live concert and event sound technician, sound designer, video game sound designer, composer, music producer or audio equipment technician. Alumni have worked with such industry giants as Electronic Arts Studio, Bardel Entertainment, Cirque du Soleil, The Armory Studios and Michael Bublé. With the right skills and drive, graduates can build a fulfilling, creatively gratifying career in the performing arts industry.
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- Hands-on learning from instructors in the field
- Access to faculty with extensive industry experience
- Learn with equipment, software and current industry technology
- Program consists of 90 credits over six quarters.
- Graduating students receive a Diploma
With professional audio recording studios as your classrooms, teachers work with students to develop their unique talents. Throughout the program, students are surrounded and inspired by their peers, learning together to understand a passion that can become their life’s work.
- Skills to record, edit, mix, and master audio in professional studios.
- Knowledge of theoretical concepts, industry practices, and hands-on production techniques.
- Practical hands-on experience with recording and live production equipment.
- Solid understanding of technology, theory, and industry practices and expectations.
- Knowledge and skills required to work with emerging technologies available in the industry.
Who Should Apply?
Students directly out of high school, or mature students who are ready for a career change or to build on the skills they have.
- Those with interest in the entertainment industry
- Skilled with technology
- Eager to be challenged and inspired
- Creatives with a sense of artistry
- Those with a love of music and an ear for sound