Carve Your Own Path
With the LaSalle College Vancouver jewellery design program, students can turn a passion into a creatively rewarding career. In only one year, and with no experience necessary, students learn to produce an original collection of jewellery. Experienced and passionate teachers guide students through the jewellery design process, from concept to fabrication, including the promotion of their own jewellery business. Students roll up their sleeves and practice the basics of shaping, forming, soldering and finishing metal to bring their vision of wearable art to life.
- Develop the ability to transform jewelry concepts into jewelry pieces;
- Translate jewelry concepts into sketches and illustrations using freehand drawing techniques;
- Develop skills to design and construct fashion jewelry creations;
- Learn about the various materials available to create jewelry pieces;
- Learn the history of jewelry design and how culture influences fashion jewelry trends;
- Produce a collection of jewelry;
- Acquire skills to produce, manage, market, promote and present jewelry designs.
The Jewellery Design Program consists of 3 semesters, 15 weeks per semester for a total of 45 weeks.
By the end of the program, you will have completed 900 hours which amounts to 300 hours per semester or 20 hours per week that entitles you to a diploma in Jewellery Design.
- Metal Work I
- Beading I
- History and Trends
- Illustration I
- Art & Application
- Metal Work II
- Beading II
- Illustration II
- Visual Language
- Metal Work III
- Beading III
- Computerized Illustration
- Jewellery Portfolio
- Jewellery Designer
- Jewellery Manufacturer
- Jewellery Studio Technician
- Costume Design Accessory Consultant (theatre, film and television)
- Jewellery Merchandiser
- Jewellery Customer Service/Sales
Graduates have exciting careers as jewellery designers, launching their own unique brand to showcase their vision and aesthetic. Others work with established companies to refine their collections. Others have used their training in the Diploma program to enter careers as jewellery merchandisers, studio technicians or costume design accessory consultants in theatre, film and television.
- Hands-on learning from instructors in the field
- Access to faculty with extensive jewellery design expertise
- Program consists of three semesters, 15 weeks per semester for a total of 45 weeks (includes self-guided training, virtual classes and individual study time)
- Graduating students receive a Diploma
- Students develop a portfolio of their design work
Students gain expertise in various techniques, including bead stringing, weaving, and design and fabrication with metal. They learn innovative techniques in a supportive environment that provides the freedom to carve out their own path as a designer.
- To transform jewellery concepts into finished designs.
- Various materials and techniques available to create a range of jewellery.
- To convey jewellery concepts verbally, in writing, and through traditional and digital illustration.
- The history of jewellery design and how culture influences trends.
- To produce an exhibit and scout career-building opportunities in the local and international markets.
- Produce an original collection of jewellery, as well as manage, market, promote and present jewellery designs.
Who Should Apply?
Students directly out of high school, or mature students who are ready for a career change or to build on the skills they have.
- Those with interest in fashion and style
- Love jewellery design and working with their hands
- Eager to be challenged and inspired
- Strong sense of style and appreciation for aesthetics and art