Let Your Vision Guide You
The work of a designer is about much more than creating polished spaces. In today’s digital age, they also must be proficient in industry software and design analysis. LaSalle College Vancouver’s Diploma Interior Design program ensures students graduate with all of the necessary skills to design a brilliant career, by knowing current trends and understanding traditional concepts of design. Our balanced approach, taught by experienced interior designers, ensures students gain an understanding of interior construction, building codes, materials, lighting and furnishings.
The program is designed to prepare students to communicate design solutions through a variety of visual media while developing aesthetic and ethical sensitivities. Along with design principles, students learn how their role connects with others in the industry and how to manage the business of their profession.
The Interior Design diploma program is rich in theory and practice. Students will have the opportunity to develop abilities in all aspects of the design of three-dimensional spaces, both residential and commercial. The program is designed to teach students to communicate design solutions through a variety of visual media and develop aesthetic and ethical sensitivities. Students will have the opportunity to learn how the profession interfaces with others in the industry and how to manage the business of their profession. They will graduate prepared to seek entry level employment in the fields of commercial and residential design.
This program consists of 90 credits over 6 quarters.
- Fundamentals of Design
- Colour Theory
- Basic Drafting
- Introduction to Interior Design
- History of Architecture, Interiors, and Furniture
- Rendering and Illustration
- Computer-Aided Design
- Programming & Space Planning
- Residential Design
- Human Factors and Psychology of Design
- Materials and Resources
- Advanced Computer-Aided Design
- Corporate Design
- Project Management
- Codes/Barrier Free Design
- 3D Digital Modeling
- 3D Digital Rendering
- Professional Practices
- Interior & Architectural Detailing
- Environmental Design
- Building Systems and Materials
- Commercial Design
- Presentation Techniques
- Senior Project
- Construction Documents
The goal of the Interior Design diploma program is to produce graduates that are prepared to seek entry-level employment in their profession and able to conceive and execute viable, creative design solutions in diverse occupations within our current market realities. Graduates of LaSalle College Vancouver Interior Design diploma program will be eligible to write the National Council for Interior Design Qualification exam upon completion of the required work experience.
Graduates go on to work at residential firms, start their own interior design company or work for large-scale companies that require in-house interior design services, such as restaurants, hotels and retail. Our alumni have varied careers in commercial design, working on interiors related to, for example, recreational spaces and auto showrooms. Others focus on apartment or condo design, working for large-scale developments or directly with homeowners. Some work in the public sector, managing design needs for hospitals, schools and libraries. Graduates of LaSalle College Vancouver Interior Design diploma program will be eligible to write the National Council for Interior Design Qualification exam upon completion of the required work experience.
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- The Diploma program prepares students to work as an interior designer in residential and commercial design
- Supports and enhances professional and academic development
- Build a portfolio to showcase work
- Innovative programming in a state-of-the-art environment
- Program consists of 90 credits over six quarters
- Graduating students receive a Diploma
The Interior Design Diploma program is rich in theory and practice. Students will have the opportunity to develop abilities in all aspects of the design, both residential and commercial. Students in the Diploma program acquire the technical and creative skills to design interior spaces that meet demanding requirements – not just aesthetically, but in terms of safety, accessibility and sustainability.
- Strong theoretical and practical knowledge.
- Design training that will enable them to work in the interior design field, both commercial and residential.
- Technical knowledge and skills related to the philosophy of design.
- Ability to design interiors and convey the concepts to a client prior to implementation.
- Understanding of the disciplines of environmental design, interior design, interior architecture, adaptive reuse, spatial design and exhibition design.
- Industry software tools, including SketchUp Pro and Autodesk AutoCad.
Who Should Apply?
Students directly out of high school, or mature students who are ready for a career change or to build on the skills they have.
- Those with an interest in design and architecture
- Comfortable with technology
- Eager to learn new skills and be challenged
- Creatives with an eye for design
About the School
Located at the bottom of the west coastal mountains, LaSalle College Vancouver has welcomed students from around the world. LaSalle College Vancouver is an award winning higher education provider offe ... Read More